SUMMER STUDENT EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Childccare Worker
The West Central Women’s Resource Centre (WCWRC) provides services and programming to women and families in the West Central neighbourhood of Winnipeg.
WCWRC is seeking a Summer Childcare Worker to complete a 10 week term. Reporting to the Employment and Education Coordinator, the Summer Childcare Worker will plan and lead activities and provide quality care with a child-centered approach to the children participating in the childminding program.
Start Date: June 27, 2016
Time requirement: 30 hours per week
Closing date: May 30th
Reporting to the Employment and Education Coordinator, the Childcare Worker is responsible for:
- Following all WCWRC policies
- Developing and implementing daily activities that support and promote the development of all children including newcomer and indigenous children using a child-centered approach.
- Providing activities and experiences that meet the individual developmental needs of the children
- Setting up and taking down equipment and other items used in the program
- Inspecting space for safety issues and seeking corrective action according to procedures
- Working with team members to create a positive environment
- Guiding and assist children in the development of healthy eating, dressing and toilet habits.
- Understanding of childhood development and experience working with children from infancy up to age 12
- Experience planning and leading activities for children
- Current criminal Reference Check and Child Abuse Checks or willingness to obtain
- Current First Aid/CPR Level C or willingness to obtain
- Experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and religions
- Must be comfortable working effectively cross-culturally and with participants with low English levels
- Demonstrated understanding of marginalization, diversity and inclusion framework
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- Have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act2 and,
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
- Experience working within the non-profit sector
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Existing knowledge of the issues of marginalization
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Self-motivated, able to work with minimal supervision
- An understanding of the programming needs of children who drop in for care for short periods of time.
- The job involves working with young children and includes lifting and participating in physical activities.
Please submit resume and cover letter to the attention of the Personnel Committee
By email: email@example.com Fax: 204-783-3173
West Central Women’s Resource Centre
640 Ellice Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3G 0A7
The West Central Women’s Resource Centre is committed to representing diversity amongst our staff. Indigenous peoples, visible and ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply and self-identify.