Sponsoring parents and grandparents to Manitoba

Skip to:

If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, you can sponsor your parents or grandparents to come to Canada. You can do this either through the Family Class sponsorship or the Super Visa program.

Permanent residency sponsorship of parents and grandparents

The Family Class sponsorship program allows you to sponsor parents and grandparents to become permanent residents to Canada. For this stream, it is always good to check the IRCC site first before applying. There may have been changes to the application process and the intake limit. If you apply while it is closed, any applications received before the intake reopens will be returned to applicants. It will be a waste of effort and money for you.

First you must determine if you are eligible to be a sponsor. You must:

If you are eligible, you must first submit the Interest to sponsor form. This form is available online only when the intake period is open. IRCC will send you a confirmation number after you successfully send it. Keep this number in your records, you will need it to find out if you have been invited to apply.

After you’ve been invited by IRCC to apply, get the application package and fill it out. Make sure to read the guide carefully before completing the application forms. Go to this page for more information: How to apply. If you are feeling overwhelmed, watch this video:

Super Visa

The Super Visa enables parents or grandparents visiting in Canada to stay longer (than allowed by a visitor visa). It is a 10-year, multiple-entry visa that allows them to stay up to two years at a time. The applicant must:

  • be a parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
  • have an invitation letter from your child or grandchild living in Canada
    • it should include a promise of financial support for the length of your visit
    • list of the number of people in the household of the invitee
    • a copy of the invitee’s Canadian citizenship or Permanent Residence document
    • Note for the child or grandchild of the applicant: If you need help with the Invitation to Visit letter, you can request for one from the Immigrant Centre Manitoba.

  • have medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that is:
    • valid for at least one year from the date of entry
    • at least $100,000 coverage
    • have proof that the medical insurance has been paid (quotes not accepted).

In addition to these, the applicant must also:

  • apply for a Super visa from outside Canada
  • be allowed to enter Canada
  • take an immigration medical exam
  • meet other conditions as assessed by immigration officers. They will look at details such as:
    • Your ties to your home country
    • The purpose of your visit
    • Your family and finances
    • The overall economic and political stability of your home country

The child or grandchild inviting you should also be able to prove that their household meets the minimum necessary income. Proof of funds can be:

  • Notice of Assessment (NOA) or T4/T1 for the most recent tax year
  • Employment Insurance stubs
  • employment letter including salary and date of hiring
  • pay stubs
  • bank statements

Visit the IRCC site to know the latest details on the requirements, forms, fees and application times for Super Visa applications.

Article updated January 16, 2020.
Sources: Immigration,Citizenship and Refugees Canada (IRCC), and Canada.visa.com.

Back to top


Sponsoring parents and grandparents

Back to top

We'd love to hear from you!

Please login to tell us what you think.

Related Learning Activities

Writing Workshop: Lesson Five, Writing Practice

Article thumbnail fallback

Writing Workshop: Lesson Seven, Using Punctuation with Transitional Words and Phrases

Article thumbnail fallback

Writing Workshop: Lesson Six, Punctuation for Making Lists

Article thumbnail fallback

Writing Workshop: Lesson Four, Complex Sentences

Article thumbnail fallback

Back to top

CC BY-NC-SAText of this page is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA, unless otherwise marked. Please attribute to English Online Inc. and link back to this page where possible. For images and videos, check the source for licensing information.