If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, you can sponsor your parents or grandparents to come to Canada. You can do this either through the Family Class sponsorship or the Super Visa program.
Permanent residency sponsorship of parents and grandparents
The Family Class sponsorship program allows you to sponsor parents and grandparents to become permanent residents to Canada. For this stream, it is always good to check the CIC/IRCC site first before applying. There may have been changes to the application process and the intake limit. If you apply while it is closed, any applications received before the intake reopens will be returned to applicants. It will be a waste of effort and money for you.
Sponsors for the Family Class sponsorship program must meet the following requirements. You must:
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- be 18 years old or older
- exceed the minimum necessary income level for this program (if you are married or in a common-law relationship, both your incomes can be included). Check the Federal Income Table for parents and grandparents sponsorship for income guidelines per size of family unit.
- Sign an undertaking promising that you will provide financial support and basic requirements for your family members. Basic requirements include:
- Personal requirements
- Household supplies
- Eye and dental care (health care not provided by public health)
You will notice that the state of your finances plays a big role in the assessment of your application. The government checks this to ensure that you are capable of shouldering the financial responsibility that comes with caring for the needs of the more senior members of your family. It also ensures that they will not apply for social assistance when they come to Canada. The undertaking that you sign is valid for 20 years, and is unconditional. It will not be cancelled due to granting of citizenship, divorce, separation, or moving to another province.
Application forms and complete guidelines may be downloaded from the CIC/IRCC page (new forms/rules will be posted by January 28, 2019). If you are feeling overwhelmed, the following how-to video about the basics of filling-out forms and completing applications will tell you how to start the process in an organized way:
The Super Visa enables parents or grandparents visiting in Canada to stay longer (than allowed by a visitor visa). It is a 10-year, multiple-entry visa that allows them up to two years of stay without the need to renew their status. The applicant must:
- be a parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
- allowed to enter Canada
- meet other conditions as assessed by immigration officers. They will look at details such as:
- Your ties to your home country
- The purpose of your visit
- Your family and finances
- The overall economic and political stability of your home country
- An invitation from a Canadian host
In addition to these, the applicant must also:
- prove that their child or grandchild in Canada meets a minimum income threshold
- provide a written statement from their child or grandchild that he/she will provide financial support
- have valid Canadian medical insurance coverage for at least one year
- have an immigration medical exam
Visit the CIC site for other details on the requirements, forms, fees and application times for Super Visa applications.
Sponsoring parents and grandparents
0 of 10 questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 10 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
- Question 1 of 10
- Question 2 of 10
- Question 3 of 10
- Question 4 of 10
- Question 5 of 10
- Question 6 of 10
- Question 7 of 10
- Question 8 of 10
- Question 9 of 10
- Question 10 of 10
We'd love to hear from you!
Please login to tell us what you think.