Known as the “Hub of the North,” Thompson is the regional trade and service centre of Northern Manitoba. It has a progressive and culturally diverse community of more than 13,000 residents. In addition to this, around 30,000 people live in communities near Thompson.
Like most regions in Manitoba, Thompson is blessed with forests, clear lakes and rivers. While it offers a unique wilderness experience, the city has all the amenities of a larger urban centre. It has a variety of commercial/shopping establishments, among them five shopping centres, car and recreational vehicle dealerships, fitness facilities, furniture stores, an art gallery, and grocery chains in addition to a variety of local merchants.
Thompson is a peaceful and welcoming city. Because of this, as well as the growing employment and business opportunities available, it is fast becoming a city of choice for many newcomers.
Thompson Newcomer Settlement Services
Immigration/Settlement services offered:
- Client intake, assess needs, provide referrals, settlement and adaptation services
- Information and orientation for newcomers to the community of Thompson
- Information on the job market, training programs
- Assistance in enrolling newcomer children into the school system
- Advocate for newcomers with public and private organizations
- Orientations on topics as housing, transportation and child care
- Referrals to English Classes (EAL)
Assistance in obtaining:
- Driver Licenses
- Social Insurance Number
- Manitoba Health Care
- Translation of documents
- Referral to English Classes (EAL)
- Canada Child Benefit
- Qualification Recognition
Access to services, such as:
- Computer, Internet, fax, photocopies and telephone
- Help completing forms
- Document translation
- Commissioner of Oaths
Contact person: Tammy Cober, Settlement Services Coordinator
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: (204) 677-1495
We'd love to hear from you!
Please login to tell us what you think.