About the Westman Region:
The southwestern region of Manitoba is called Westman. It is composed of 41 municipalities, and 55 towns and villages. Some of its communities include Boissevain, Carberry, Hamiota, Killarney, and Minnedosa. Its biggest urban centre is Brandon. It has a population of approximately 110,000 Community Futures Westman).
The region’s main industry is agriculture. In Brandon alone, the agri-food products and related services represent the largest industrial cluster. However, Brandon boasts of a varied economic base. Its more than 2,000 businesses also include the manufacture of metals, chemicals and pharmaceuticals as well as oil drilling and production (Economic Development Brandon).
The region has many attractions such as the Art Gallery of Southwestern Manitoba which can be found in Brandon and the Outdoor Art Gallery in Boissevain. Natural wonder abound in the region as well. Its mixed-grass prairie, wetlands and boreal forest is home to a wide array of bird species. Popular parks include the Assiniboine River Trail System in Brandon, Lang’s Crossing in Dunrea, Sourisford Park in Melita (the “Oldest Park in Western Canada”), and the Pelican Lake Area in Ninette. Aside from birdwatching, many parks around Westman are also great for fishing, camping, and wildlife watching. You can even go canoeing or kayaking in the Assiniboine River, Souris River, or at the Oskar Lake Loop in Turtle Mountain Provincial Park.
To know more recreational activities in the region go to: Tourism Westman.
Westman Immigrant Services
The agency provides settlement, employment and language programs to immigrants in the Brandon and the Westman area. They also connect with community organizations to build a network to provide more services for immigrants and refugees.
- Information, orientation and settlement support. Settlement facilitators help individuals and families.
- learn about living in the community
- find services in the community and hot to access them
- fill out forms and complete documents
- understand immigration issues and applications
- The Welcome to Brandon Program is a two-week settlement orientation for all new permanent residents and refugees to the Westman area.
- English language programs (ESL for everyday living and in the workplace)
- Employment support and referral (for Canadian citizens, permanent residents, Open Work Permit clients). The Employment Facilitator provides employment assistance, career planning, and guidance such as:
- looking for and keeping a job
- writing a resume
- preparing for a job interview
- making a career plan
- finding training programs
- having your education from other countries recognized in Canada
- Volunteer services
- Community outreach and education
- Interpretation services
- The Cultural Diversity Program (trainings, partnerships, and events)
- Family programs:
- Information and orientation sessions on Parenting in a New Culture, Positive Reunification of Families, Family Law in Canada, Education in Canada, Preserving your own culture in a new country, etc.
- Family literacy
- Cross cultural adaptation family time activities
- Wow series
- Care for Newcomer Children Program
- Youth programs
- Employment support (job search, resume writing, interview preparation)/li>
- Social support (summer programs, cooking classes, dance classes, sports)
- Academic support (after school programs)
- Workshops (information workshops)
Contact person: Joy Escalera, Settlement Program Manager
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: (204) 727-6031; Fax: (204) 725-4786
We'd love to hear from you!
Please login to tell us what you think.