Read Original Version (CLB5+) You are reading the Simple Version (CLB3-4)
What is “digital presence”?
- Digital presence means your reputation online.
- It is formed by your “digital footprint” (everything about you on the Internet).
- This includes:
- Your profile on
- Instagram, and other sites.
- Your posts. This can be:
- a blog
- comments on forums
- your “likes” on Facebook or Twitter
- links you share
- Anything written about you online.
- Your photographs or videos online.
Why do you need to have digital presence?
- Employers look for information about their applicants on the internet.
Other recruiters search on LinkedIn for candidates.If you don’t have a digital presence, you are missing some opportunities.
- When an applicant doesn’t have digital presence, it as taken as a sign that:
- the person does not like technology
- he/she may be hiding something
- Technology is used in the workplace.
- If an applicant does not like computers and online tools, he may not be a good fit.
How does a good digital presence help your career?
- It shows your knowledge and skills
Helps you network/build relationships
- How do you do it?
- By writing a blog
- Posting tips
- Sharing links to professional articles
- Participating on professional forums.
- To build a good reputation, share smart, thoughtful, respectful, and accurate information.
- Never flame (insulting others or using curse words)
- Never troll (posting messages that make others angry).
May help employers decide to hire you
- Your online connections can become real connections in your field.
- Start networking by:
- having a LinkedIn account
- joining Facebook groups
- “following” people, organizations or companies on Twitter
- Being active online keeps you informed about:
- job openings
- job fairs
- Keep your connections by staying involved.
- share helpful content
- answer questions
- retweet or re-post information. Share with your connections or help promote events.
- It is hard to show passion for your career in your resume.
- An active digital presence can display your professional knowledge and involvement.
- It can be the factor that gets you hired.
Back to top
We'd love to hear from you!
Please login to tell us what you think.