Looking for work as an international student in Manitoba? Here is what you need to know

Skip to:

Manitoba has one of the most diversified economies in Canada. Whether oil prices are down or the inflation rate is high, there will always be a thriving sector in Manitoba’s economy. In fact, the employment rate in Manitoba was 60.2 per cent in 2020, the third highest among the provinces and above Canada’s rate of 58 per cent (Statistics Canada Labour Force Survey as cited in the Manitoba Measuring Progress site).

There are great opportunities for you here if you’re intending to work as an international student. However, you should also know your limitations to to be safe.

Requirements to work in Manitoba:

  1. Social Insurance Number (S.I.N.)
    The SIN is a nine-digit number issued by the Government of Canada. It allows you to work in here legally (employers cannot hire someone without it). It also allows you to avail of certain government benefits and services. Applying for it is free. Simply go to a Service Canada office near you. To know what you need to bring to apply and other application details, go to: Applying for your SIN.
  2. Valid Study Permit
    If you have a valid study permit, you may be able to work while studying without having to apply for a separate work permit. You will be informed of all the guidelines as well as other essential information when you receive your study permit. In addition, international students can work up to 20 hours per week and have no restrictions during the summer break (May-August).
  3. Program Eligibility
    You can only start working in Manitoba when you begin your studies. You cannot work before it starts. Additionally, check if your program meets all requirements because not all programs offered at designated learning institutions are eligible.

Where can you work as an international student?

International students may find work in various areas, including the following:

  • On campus
    You may be eligible to work at your institution if your study permit states that you’re allowed to work on-campus. Additionally, most institutions have work-study programs that enable international students to find work within the campus without extra documentation, such as an additional work permit. You may have to be a full-time student to be eligible for such programs. You can learn about working on campus through your academic advisor.
  • Off campus
    To work outside your school, you may need a work permit on top of your study permit. Go to the link to check if you need a separate work permit to work off-campus (make sure you can work off-campus without a work permit). Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) can ask you to leave Canada if you start working without meeting the eligibility criteria. Off-campus work may include co-op or internships with organizations outside of your institution.

Work after you graduate

You may work temporarily or even live permanently in Manitoba after you graduate from a Designated Learning Institution. The Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP) offers a direct pathway to permanent residence for international students. According to the Manitoba government, over 37% of MPNP nominees are international students. Check here for more information on this program and how to apply (Study in Manitoba | Manitoba Immigration and Economic Opportunities (immigratemanitoba.com).

Creating a Canadian Style resume

You will need to create a resume to apply for a job in Canada. A resume is a document that outlines your work history, education, volunteer activities, and contact information. You do not need to include your SIN, photo, or date of birth on your resume. You give this information to your employer only when you are hired. Most institutions have an international student services office. This is the best place to seek work opportunities and build your work experiences in Canada. You may even find volunteer work in this office which is a great way to gain Canadian work experience.
by Bedel Shafea
Sources: International Students | International Education | Economic Development and Training | Province of Manitoba (gov.mb.ca); Study in Canada as an international student – Canada.ca. Accessed July 2, 2021.

Back to top

Community Resources

Find volunteer or employment opportunities from the following:

Back to top

We'd love to hear from you!

Please login to tell us what you think.

Related Learning Activities

Idiom Set: School & Learning

An apple and a stack of textbooks

In this idioms set you’ll find Canadian idioms relating to back-to-school, reading and learning. Click on each lesson for cool… Read more »


An apple and a stack of textbooks

Are you or your child involved in the education system in Manitoba? This course contains workshops designed for students of… Read more »

Back to top

CC BY-NC-SAText of this page is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA, unless otherwise marked. Please attribute to English Online Inc. and link back to this page where possible. For images and videos, check the source for licensing information.