Post-secondary education: What is the difference between college and university?

Skip to:

Are you going to college or university?

College is different from university in Canada. They are the two types of post-secondary education programs taken after graduating from high school.

What is post-secondary education?

Studies beyond high school are called post-secondary education. Students take a program to earn:

  • Apprenticeship or trades certificate or diploma (including ‘centres de formation professionelle’)
  • College, CEGEP or other non-university certificate or diploma
  • University or diploma below bachelor level
  • University degree (bachelor’s degree, university certificate or diploma above bachelor level, degree in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine or optometry, etc.); master’s degree; earned doctorate
  • (Statistics Canada)

There are three types of post-secondary schools:

  • Universities
  • Colleges
  • Institutes

These schools and the programs they offer must meet standards set by the government. Only then can they be officially recognized to grant degrees, diplomas, certificates and other qualifications. Manitoba Advanced Education is the government ministry in charge of post-secondary education in the province.

What is the difference between college and university?

The main difference between a college and university is that universities focus on academic and professional programs while colleges tend to be more career-oriented and offer career training and trades.

Colleges and institutes
Colleges and institutes usually offer certificate programs which take one year or less, and diploma programs which can take two to three years. However, a growing number of colleges now also offer bachelor’s degrees, even master’s degrees. Aside from in class studies, college programs offer practical, hands-on training such as pre-trades and apprenticeship. Areas of study can range from business to health.

You will know these institutions as colleges, community colleges, colleges of applied arts and technology, and institutes of technology or science. Career colleges are institutes that are entirely private.

Colleges in MB:

Universities offer programs that grant degrees in a variety of subjects and fields. Most degrees take three to four years to complete for a full-time student. You can earn three types of degrees: bachelor’s degree (undergraduate degrees), master’s degree (more advanced and requires an undergraduate degree), and doctoral degree (most advanced and may require a master’s degree). Graduates of regulated professions (ex: medicine, law, education) have to complete internships and pass standard exams before they can be licensed to work in their field.

Universities in MB:

There are two main terms per year at most post-secondary institutions: September to December and January to April.

Sources: Post-secondary education, Government of Canada; The Canadian Centre Information Centre for International Credentials; What is the difference between college and university in Canada?; and Education and Training, Accessed July 23, 2019.

Back to top

Community Resources

Are you interested in studying in Manitoba? Go to Study in Canada as an international student for more details.

Back to top

We'd love to hear from you!

Please login to tell us what you think.

Related Learning Activities

Imperatives (CLB 3-4)

Article thumbnail fallback

A lesson about using imperatives. (CLB 3-4)

Modals of Advice (CLB 5+)

Article thumbnail fallback

A lesson on “advice giving” using modal verbs.

Idiom Set: School & Learning

An apple and a stack of textbooks

In this idioms set you’ll find Canadian idioms relating to back-to-school, reading and learning. Click on each lesson for cool… Read more »


An apple and a stack of textbooks

Are you or your child involved in the education system in Manitoba? This course contains workshops designed for students of… Read more »

Back to top

CC BY-NC-SAText of this page is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA, unless otherwise marked. Please attribute to English Online Inc. and link back to this page where possible. For images and videos, check the source for licensing information.