- Every worker has the right to a healthy and safe workplace
In Manitoba, the Workplace Safety and Health Act is enforced to uphold this right. Every worker is entitled to:
- know what hazards are in the workplace and what precautions must be taken to avoid injuries from those hazards
- participate in safety and health activities in the workplace
- refuse work that you reasonably believe to be dangerous to yourself or others
- protection from discriminatory action for exercising your rights
Watch Safe Work Manitoba’s video on Safety Rights and Responsibilities (you can see the Tagalog and French versions at the Safe Work Manitoba Youtube page):
- Workplace safety is everyone’s responsibility – It means you have to follow safety standards and procedures at work and cooperate with any program that promotes it. You should also report unsafe work practices to Workplace Safety and Health (WSH) client service offices to prevent untoward incidents.
- If you get injured at work, you must seek medical help and report it to your employer – You would need to file a claim to the Workers Compensation Board of Manitoba (WCB) to get assistance if you need time off from work. For this, you will need to fill out a Worker Incident Report. The WBC site has a video on how to report your injury and what to do while recovering:
- WCB has translation services available – When reporting your injury, you can choose a WCB representative that speaks your language so you could better relate your situation.
- Workplace Safety and Health partners with SAFE Work Manitoba and the Workers Compensation Board to prevent workplace injuries and illnesses through promotion, protection and education – Whether you are an employee or employer, there are various resources from the SAFE Manitoba site that you can use to help you (and your team) understand the importance of health and safety programs at work.
Watch this video-lecture on workplace safety and health by Jose Chinchilla from Entry Program to learn why following safety rules at work is essential:
5 Essential Facts about Workplace Safety
For each sentence, fill in the blanks with the correct word.
0 of 6 questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 6 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
- Question 1 of 6
Workers must know how to avoid injuries from ________ at the workplace.CorrectIncorrect
- Question 2 of 6
Workers are ________ to participate in safety and health activities at work.CorrectIncorrect
- Question 3 of 6
The Workplace Safety and Health Act offers protection from ________ for exercising your rights as a worker.CorrectIncorrect
- Question 4 of 6
Following safety ________ at work is essential for a safe work environment.CorrectIncorrect
- Question 5 of 6
Workers are encouraged to ________ unsafe work practices to SAFE Manitoba.CorrectIncorrect
- Question 6 of 6
WCB offers ________ services so when you are reporting your injury, you can talk to a ________ who speaks your language.CorrectIncorrect
We'd love to hear from you!
Please login to tell us what you think.