All about employment insurance

hand with cast and IV tube

Image  by stux.  CC0

Skip to:

If you lose your job, the government provides temporary financial assistance while you look for work or upgrade your skills. This is called employment insurance (EI). First off, you must be legally entitled to work in Canada, have a valid Social Insurance number, and remain in Canada during the benefit period. You may be entitled to receive regular EI benefits if you:

  • are employed in insurable employment;
  • lost your employment through no fault of your own;
  • have been without work and without pay for at least seven consecutive days in the last 52 weeks;
  • have worked for the required number of insurable hours in the last 52 weeks or since the start of your EI claim, whichever is shorter;
  • are ready, willing, and capable of working each day; and
  • are actively looking for work.

If you voluntarily left your work, were dismissed for a cause, or are unemployed because you are participating in a dispute, you may not be eligible. To know more about regular EI benefits, go to this link.

There are five other types of EI:

EI Maternity and Parental Benefits – for those who are pregnant, have recently given birth, are adopting a child, or are caring for a newborn.
EI Sickness Benefits – for the sick, injured or quarantined.
EI Compassionate Care Benefits – for those who need to be away from work temporarily to take care of a family member who is critically ill.
EI Benefits for Parents of Critically Ill Children – for parents who have to take leave from work to care for a critically ill or injured child.
EI Fishing Benefits – for qualifying, self-employed fishers who are actively seeking work.

To apply for EI, you have to submit an application online. This can be done at home, through public internet access (e.g. a library) or at any Service Canada Centre.

Back to top

Community Resources

Read Canadian Newcomer’s articles Money: What’s Employment Insurance All About for a more details on EI.

Back to top


Back to top

We'd love to hear from you!

Please login to tell us what you think.

Related Learning Activities

Employment equity in Manitoba

Two people shaking hands with charts on the wall in the backgorund

What exactly is employment equity? Why is it necessary? Attend this workshop to get answers to all these questions.

How to build your professional network

Two people shaking hands with charts on the wall in the backgorund

We always hear that to advance your career you must build a network, but exactly how do we do this?… Read more »

Workplace Communications

A woman giving a presentation at work

Course Description Workplace Communications (WorkCom) is a 4 week course. This course focuses on must-haves for successful communication at work: speaking formally,… Read more »

Webinar for Internationally Educated Engineers

desk with two laptops with two persons discussing paperwork

Disclaimer The views and opinions expressed by guest speakers do not necessarily represent those of  English Online  or Immigration, Refugees… Read more »

Back to top

CC BY-NC-SAText of this page is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA, unless otherwise marked. Please attribute to English Online Inc. and link back to this page where possible. For images and videos, check the source for licensing information.