- Register for health coverage as soon as you arrive.
- The Manitoba Health card lets you:
Coverage begins on the third month after your arrival to Manitoba.Where to apply: Manitoba Health, 300 Carlton St., Winnipeg MB.What to bring:
- see a doctor
- get a prescription for medicine
- go to a hospital emergency room
- use other health services
Fee/Cost: No fee.For more info: Tel. no.: 204-786- 7101; Manitoba Health, Healthy Living and Seniors
- Completed Manitoba Health Registration Form. Form also available at:
- City of Winnipeg, 510 Main St., Winnipeg, MB
- For rural areas: Contact city or municipal office.
Toll free: 1-800-392-1207 or TTY/TTD: 711 or 1-800-855-0511.
- Permanent Resident Confirmation card (copy of both sides) or Record of Landing (IMM 1000).
- Previous province’s/territory’s health card (if applicable).
Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- You need a SIN to:
The SIN is confidential.
- work in Canada
- receive benefits and services from the government
Share only when legally required.Read Your Social Insurance Number: A Shared Responsibility.Where to apply:
- It is a key to your personal information.
- Keep it secret.
- Someone else can use it fraudulently.
What to bring: Fee/Cost: No fee.For more info: Service Canada
- Find a Service Canada Office.
- Apply by mail if you live 100 km or more from a Service Canada office.
- Or if you are unable to apply in person
- Or if you need a representative to apply for you
- Call 1-800-206-7218 (select option #3) for instructions.
- If you are applying from outside Canada, see requirements here.
- Or call 1-800-206-7218; TTY 1-800-926-9105
- From outside Canada: 506-548-7961 (long distance charges apply).
Permanent Resident Card
- It is proof that you are a permanent resident of Canada.
- It is a wallet-sized plastic card.
- You must show it if you leave and enter Canada from another country.
- Mailed after a month if you supplied a Canadian mailing address in your visa application. No need to apply.
- If you did not give an address: send online within 180 days of landing.
- If you need to apply for a PR card, do it online.
- Apply if:
You will need:
- you have gone beyond the 180-day deadline
- you have lost your card
- your card expired
- you legally changed your name
Fee/Cost: No fee.For more info: Citizenship and Immigration Canada
- Copy of your application
- Financial receipts (IMM 5401)
- Any letter or official document from IRCC
- A bank account keeps your money safe.
- It can give you access to services such as:
Employers will ask for a bank account when you start working.
Read the article Financial institutions in Manitoba for tips in choosing a bank.Where to go:
- This is where they will send your salary.
What to bring:
- Visit banks near you (or go to their websites).
- Compare services and benefits.
- Choose one that fits your needs.
- Banks offer accounts especially for newcomers.
Call the bank to know how to open an account or visit their website.Fee/Cost: Opening an account is free.
- Two pieces of ID. Examples:
- PR card
- SIN card
- driver’s licence
- employee photo card
For more info: Banking for newcomers
- There may be service fees for keeping your account.
- Fees vary per bank and type of account.
- You can use a valid driver’s licence from another country for up to three months upon landing.
- To apply for a Manitoba license, you have to:
How to apply:What to bring:
- be at least 16 years old
- pass a knowledge test
- pass a road test
Present original documents.If you have a driver’s licence from another country, MPI will ask for additional information.Fee/Cost: Schedule of Charges.For more info: Manitoba Public Insurance.
- Proof of identity that shows:
- your birth date
- full legal name
- Manitoba residence and permanent address
- entitlement to be in Canada
- Read: list of approved documents.
Tel. No.: 204-985-7000; Toll free: 1-800-665-2410; TTY/TTD: 204-985-8832.
Article updated as of October, 2018. As this is only a guide, please verify with the proper agency depending on the document or service that you need before applying as requirements, processing times and fees may change.
Back to top
We'd love to hear from you!
Please login to tell us what you think.