Aside from going through immigrant-serving organizations, community agencies, networking, and online job searches, another way of getting a job is through employment agencies. Employment agencies, placement, or recruitment agencies are organizations that help companies look for the right people to fill certain jobs. Some agencies specialize in certain fields like office support, technology or security, and the terms vary. Most provide temporary jobs, but there are those that can place you in long-term permanent work.
Getting registered in an agency should not cost you anything. These organizations actually charge the company you work for, or receive a percentage of your salary, after you are hired. You can read the Manitoba Employment Standards here to know your rights as a temporary employee. It is also helpful to know that in Manitoba, both temporary help agencies and employment agencies must be registered with the government’s Employment Standards Division.
There are several advantages to working with an employment agency:
- You benefit from the help of HRD experts who have access to the hidden job market;
- Some assist in writing your resume, cover letter and job interview preparation;
- You may receive skills training and career planning support; and
- You get an advanced recommendation from the agency to their clients.
To get the help of a recruitment agency, you will have to contact them and meet with a representative to discuss your qualifications. Some agencies have online registration in place. Either way, they will conduct pre-screening that is similar to a job interview to get to know your job experience and skills better.
There are many employment agencies in Manitoba like Pinnacle, Randstad or Drake International.You can apply to several agencies if you wish, or find one that specializes placement in your specific profession. After you register with an agency, your CV or resume will be included in their database and you get matched with available jobs.
While it is helpful to explore agency assistance in job hunting, do not make it your only option. Many experts suggest making it a part of your comprehensive job hunt which should include networking, online job hunting and responding to published ads to get the best results. Also, employment agency assistance like career coaching as well as resume and cover letter help are given for free and without obligation at immigrant serving organizations. We wish you a successful job search!
Read each statement and select the correct response, True or False.
0 of 8 questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 8 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Using the services of an employment agency will guarantee a job placement.CorrectIncorrect
2. Employment agencies offer both permanent and temporary job placements.CorrectIncorrect
3. You will have to pay a fee in order to use the services of an employment agency.CorrectIncorrect
4. A portion of your salary may be deducted after you have been hired.CorrectIncorrect
5. An employment agency can help you with career planning and job interview preparation.CorrectIncorrect
6. You are allowed to use the services of only one employment agency at a time.CorrectIncorrect
7. There are employment agencies that specialize in a certain industry/profession.CorrectIncorrect
8. To increase your chances of getting a job, you should look for jobs advertised online and in newspaper, network and use the services of an employment agency.CorrectIncorrect
We'd love to hear from you!
Please login to tell us what you think.