Ways to do a successful job search:
- It is exchanging information with another person.
- It is building your professional circle.
- In Canada, 80% of jobs are in the “hidden job market”.
- The hidden market will be open to you only by word of mouth (passing of information from person to person).
Where to network:
- While participating in community activities
- When volunteering in organizations
- When you join professional associations
You will need:
- An elevator pitch or speech. It is a summary of who you are and what you do.
- “Hello, I’m ____. I’m a market specialist with more than 10 years of experience in franchise networks.
- It’s nice to meet you! My name is ______. I’m a nurse who specializes in emergency room patients.
- Mention more details about your skills in your conversation.
- You can say why you enjoy your work.
- You can mention some achievements.
- Asking a company information about a job you are interested in.
- You can do it by phone or face to face.
- Your goal is not to get a job offer but to get information to help you plan your career.
Why do it?
- You will get useful data and advice not available anywhere else.
- You gain confidence and build your network.
How to do an informational interview:
- Prepare a script and practice.
- Prepare your questions. Read samples from Questions to ask at the informational interview (Live Career.
- Have three to five questions. Ask about:
- training or education needed to do the job
- qualities or skills important to succeed in the job
- demand for the occupation
- career advice
- Look for a person with the same profession.
- A neighbor
- An acquaintance at your church or school.
- Ask them for coffee or a short meeting to talk about their work.
- Ask a relative or a friend to refer you to someone.
- Call and ask for a 10-15 minute interview.
- Be polite when doing the interview. Thank them for their time.
Want to try this out?
English Online has a career e-mentor program. You meet with a mentor on Skype. You can ask about certification, regulations in Manitoba, and other career tips.
You will need to:
- research companies in Manitoba you are interested in
- go to their office and visit the HR manager
- ask if there are job opportunities available
- leave your resume
- Dress professionally when you visit.
- Be confident but always respectful.
- If they cannot meet with you, ask if you can leave your resume.
- They may remember you when an opening is available.
- Use Twitter to follow heads of companies that you are interested in.
- You can ask them career questions online.
- Follow companies with job-related Twitter handles to know their job openings.
- A blog is a good way to build your network.
- Write good content.
- Have a professional online profile.
- Update your LinkedIn profile. Recruiters may see it.
- Observe proper netiquette (good manners observed when using online communication).
- Don’t ask everyone online for a job.
Employment Service Providers
Back to top
Look for possible jobs in Manitoba Start’s Job Postings.
Back to top
We'd love to hear from you!
Please login to tell us what you think.