What is volunteering?
- Giving your time and energy to an organization without payment.
- It is working for free.
- But you decide how much time you can give. You can say when you are available.
- Experience the Canadian tradition of giving back to the community.
- Feel good about yourself.
- Volunteering helps newcomers:
Help others while you help yourself!
- gain friends
- build their professional network
- get Canadian experience
- practice language skills
- learn job and social skills
- earn a job offer or know the job openings in the organization
- get Canadian references
Watch this interview below:
How to volunteer:
Some jobs require security checks. It can be a Criminal Background/Record or Child Abuse Registry check. They will tell you if you need to provide this after the interview.Remember that it is a commitment when they accept you.Work honestly and do your best.Have fun!
- Look for a cause or a movement you believe in. Evaluate your skills then look for an organization that needs your skills.
- Read Should you volunteer during the pandemic? 5 steps to help out safely to know what you should consider before volunteering and check some volunteer opportunities in Manitoba.
- Volunteer opportunities may also be found here: Volunteer Manitoba and at Immigrant serving organizations.
- Learn about the organization before you apply. Know the job responsibilities and the required hours.
- Know all the requirements for applying to the position.
Article updated March 16, 2021.
Back to top
We'd love to hear from you!
Please login to tell us what you think.