We’ll be continuously updating the list as we discover more awesome resources for you.
- Wide Open School from Common Sense Media is a free online resource for parents and educators to support kids who are learning remotely.
- Nextvista for learning (webinars and videos on various topics for teachers and students)
- Open Learn free courses
- Skillshare free online courses
- Roman Fort (learning resources for teachers)
- Free online course of Rome: A virtual tour of the ancient city
- BBC Languages – Learn languages for free
- FrenchTeacher.net – Free French study packs
- 10 creative courses you can learn online
- FutureLearn free short courses
- Seterra – World geography and quizzes
- Language learning resources recommended by Live&Learn
- English Self-study packs: English Exercises, Canadian idioms, iEnglish
- Free work collaboration communication tools (aside from Skype):
- Trello, Asana and Google Keep – For note taking, work lists and projects
- Google Drive, Google Docs or Google Online Office Tools – For file sharing and collaboration
- Resources for educators during the Coronavirus Pandemic
- 100 Blended learning resources for teachers
Resources for parents
- My Learning at Home – Online resources offered by the Manitoba Government for parents home schooling their children. It’s available in English and French.
- ToyBox Initiative – Resources made by Manitoban educators to support parents. Materials will be sent three times a week with tips. Parents can email email@example.com to sign up.
- A collection of educational resources and tools for teachers and parents (Chatterpack)
- Parent Trapped – A weekly podcast featuring authors, educators, and celebrities talking about parenting in the time of COVID-19.
- Britannica for Parents – A website with accurate, research-based articles and resources on timely topics.
- Resources for families during the coronavirus pandemic (Commonsense Media)
- Harry Potter at Home – Features a free download of the first Harry Potter book, “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone” on audible. The book is available in six languages: English, Spanish, French, Italian, German and Japanese.
- Scholastic Learn at Home
- At Home: A Click Away Winnipeg Public Library’s page for info on free activities and entertainment resources for all ages.
- 17 Apps to help kids stay focused
- Apps that act like math and science tutors for homework help
- Education companies offering free subscriptions due to school closings
- Top time-management apps
- Free educational apps, games, and websites
- Telus World of Science – Fun Science at Home
- 150 Educational shows on Netflix
- Board Game Arena – Free online board games.
Mental health resources
- Mental Health Virtual Therapy Program from Morneau Shepell. Offered for free by the Manitoba Government
- Canadian Immigrant 2020 Podcast series (Practising wellness during COVID-19). Features inspirational stories, valuable resources, connections and tips to support newcomers as they settle in Canada.
- CAMH (Canadian Centre for Addiction and Mental Health)
- WHO guidance to support mental health during this time
- Jack.org’s COVID-19 Youth Mental Health Resource Hub
- Wellness Together Canada – Mental Health and Substance Use Support
- MIND coronavirus and your wellbeing
- 9 ways to stay positive during this period
- Dealing with coronavirus anxiety (Anna Mathur)
- Meditation apps for kids and families
Entertainment and the arts
- Virtual Manitoba – Travel Manitoba’s collection of videos and virtual tours to help you discover the beauty of the province without leaving your couch.
- The Assiniboine Park and Zoo has Creature Feature and other activities on Facebook Live Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
- 12 Famous museums and galleries you can visit virtually from your own couch.
- Virtual tours of 12 US National Parks
- Virtual tours of zoos, landmarks and foreign countries
- Georgia Aquarium live cameras
- Environmental Film Festival – Free to view films.
- Concerts Online (Live streaming)
- 5 full-length performances to stream for free
- ‘Duet Yourself’ – a virtual community choir you can sing with (request to join to see posts and participate)
- Google Arts and culture
- Free to download Podcasts
- Netflix Party (watch movies with friends remotely)
- Apps, websites, and video games that inspire running, jumping, and more to stay active.
- Gutenberg – download free books.
- Read Great Literature – Free ebooks, poetry and classic literature.
- Bibliomania – Free online literature with study guides.
- 50,000 free ebooks arranged by genre.
- Open Library
Prayer and spiritual guidance
- Daily TV Mass (Catholic)
- 20 Prayers to pray during this pandemic (Christian)
- Tools for worship during COVID-19 (United Church of Canada)
Have other online resources to suggest? Let us know in the comments below!
Article updated May 7, 2020.
Sources: A list of free, online, boredom-busting resources, Chatter Pack; Commonsense Media resources, Jim Steyer; and Working from home because of COVID-19? Here are some free tools and software to maximize your productivity, Ali Pardiwala, Gadgets 360. Retrieved March 18, 2020.
We'd love to hear from you!
Please login to tell us what you think.