We saw that with the rise of COVID-19 cases also came a flood of misinformation and conspiracy theories. These ranged from the funny (e.g. being able to hold your breath for 10 seconds means you don’t have COVID) to the ridiculous (the COVID-19 vaccine will contain a microchip to spy on you). However, some of these, especially those circulating on social media, play on people’s vulnerabilities and can be dangerous. This has prompted governments and the scientific community to work harder on beating the “infodemic” that we see today.
The following are recommended websites and resources that are factual and reliable. These sites use scientific and peer-reviewed information that are updated as new findings and developments become available:
General information on COVID-19 vaccine and public health:
Find factsheets and posters on various languages on essential COVID-19 facts as well as guidelines ranging from healthy behaviours to travel, entry and quarantine:
- *Bilingual information (Government of Canada) – (*Needs Google Chrome browser)
- *Multilingual information (Government of Canada)
- COVID-19 Latest Updates (Get information on the mask requirement, potential exposures and affected programs) – City of Winnipeg
- Provincial COVID-19 resources for health-care providers and staff – Shared Health Manitoba
- Industry-specific COVID-19 information from Safe Work Manitoba
- COVID-19 awareness resources (posters)
- COVID-19 Canadian Red Cross Relief and resources – Various tips on the use of masks as well as mental health and well-being, and others.
- COVID-19 Information for the Public – The Canadian Medical Association
On the Immunization Plan/Program:
Get the latest updates on the immunization Plan. Learn about how the federal and provincial governments are evaluating vaccines and approving them for distribution, the latest vaccination statistics, authorized immunization clinics, and other information you may need.
- COVID-19 Vaccine Current Eligibility Criteria for immunization
- Manitoba Immunization Plan
- Nationwide Immunization Plan
On the COVID-19 vaccines:
- COVID-19 Vaccine Questions and Answers
- Vaccines and treatments for COVID-19: Vaccine rollout
- COVID vaccine safety in Canada
Fact-checking and Mythbusting sites:
Will taking Vitamin D or bleach help cure COVID-19? Is 5G causing the virus? To get answers and separate fact from fiction, go to these sites:
- World Health Organization Mythbusters
- COVID-19 FACTS– Learn how to assess information scientifically by using the FACTS Framework for fighting misinformation.
Immediate information on health questions:
We'd love to hear from you!
Please login to tell us what you think.