Use the following websites and tools to improve your writing.
This is a site for learning English and French (and other languages).
- Language Navigator is a search tool. It looks for online resources that answer your language question.
- Termium Plus® is a data bank. It helps you find the right words (or terms) in English, French, Spanish or Portuguese.
- Improve your writing skills by:
- It also has Canadian language resources. These include glossaries and dictionaries, links to blogs, and links to courses.
Try the virtual tour to help you understand the site.
Tools to improve your reading habits
- Reading is the best way to improve your vocabulary and grammar. You also learn proper sentence structure, tone and style.
- The following can help you develop good reading habits:
Vocabulary & grammar builders
Get language tips, quizzes, exercises, and articles. They boost your vocabulary and improve your grammar.Use them if you have problems with tenses, plural forms, punctuation, idioms, and others.
- The following tools are easy and fun to use.
- These tools check your writing.
- They can check your spelling, grammar and word choice. They suggest ways to improve your document.
- Download Grammarly or Ginger app. Add them to Chrome.
- Paste your text onto the Grammar check page. An analysis will be given. Sign-up for the deep check if you need more help.
Aztekera makes sure that you use the active voice.They suggest how you can improve your manuscript.
- Readability tools count your words. These also check your sentence structure and word choice.
- It will tell you if what you wrote is easy to understand.
: Use Jobscan
to optimize your resume keywords. This tool can improve your resume. It can boost your chances of getting an interview. The free account option will give you five scans per month.
Sources: 10 tools to help you improve your writing skills, Sam Berkhead; and 11 best websites to improve writing skills in English, Srikanth AN, Shout Me Loud. All accessed March 5, 2018.
Back to top
Learn the language tip of the week. Join Lunch & Learn every Mondays and Wednesdays at 12:00 noon over Skype.
Back to top
We'd love to hear from you!
Please login to tell us what you think.