Read Original Version (CLB5+) You are reading the Simple Version (CLB3-4)
Videos as tools for learning English
- Use videos for learning English when you have limited time.
- Videos can supplement your English classes.
- Watch videos when you are on a break from English class to help you continue learning.
Why use videos?
- They are entertaining
They help you understand the meaning of words or sentences better
- Watch movies and short videos if you are tired of reading.
- Watching videos will not feel like studying.
- You will enjoy the visuals, effects and the story.
Videos can develop all four language skills
- You will see the situations where the conversations take place.
- You will see:
- facial expressions
- hear the pronunciation and intonation
- the environment in which the language is used.
Videos are easily available
- Practice your reading and listening skills using subtitles.
- Practice your writing or speaking with:
- study guides
- Some video sites provide these after watching some film clips or movies.
- Online video resources are available online 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Download the clips and study resources for use at a later time.
- You will not get bored because there are so many kinds of videos.
- There are:
- news clips
- instructional videos
- music videos
- animated films
- movies and many others.
- Choose videos based on your interest, amount of time available, or language level.
- They contain:
Some have guide questions to help you understand the movie better.The list of available guides can be a movie suggestion list. Just buy or rent the movie.Examples:
- a summary of the story
- description of the characters
- definition of difficult words
Film/Video English learning sites
- Ello contains short video and audio clips.
- 2,500 lessons are free.
- Other lessons need subscription.
- The clips are arranged by level.
- Videos show speakers from all over the world. They talk on different topics.
- Video clips come with a transcript and quiz.
- Register to watch videos and courses and answer exercises and quizzes. It is free for up to two videos a month.
- Subscription is needed for reports and feedback.
- Subscription starts at US$20 a month.
- English Central has more than 10,000 videos for various levels.
- Learners can:
- watch videos
- learn vocabulary words
- speak and record dialogue
- answer quizzes
- Subscribers can have one-on-one conversations with a tutor.
- Watch English Central You Tube Channel to get an idea of what you will learn on the site.
- This site has many free video lessons.
- English vocabulary
- It has more than 1,000 lessons delivered by native-speaker teachers.
- Lessons are arranged by levels (beginner, intermediate, and advanced).
- They help improve your speaking, listening, writing, and reading skills.
Learn English Feel Good
- It has:
- music videos
- TV shows
- It also has vocabulary tests and quizzes. They are like games.
- Register for a free trial period of 15 days.
- Continue subscription for a fee.
iEnglish videos at Live and Learn
- The site has free:
- short film clips
- movie trailers
- The clips have short quizzes that you can answer.
- It also has free grammar, vocabulary, spelling and pronunciation exercises.
- Worksheets can be downloaded. They are on a variety of topics.
- It has free:
- video transcripts
- downloadable notes
- language activities
- It has guides and tips to help you learn on your own.
Back to top
We'd love to hear from you!
Please login to tell us what you think.