Language training programs in Manitoba

You are reading the Original Version (CLB5+) Read Simple Version (CLB3-4)

Skip to:

It is a good idea to continue honing your English (or French) immediately after you arrive in Canada. Even if you already know English, you may be surprised to find that the kind spoken here may be different from what you are used to, especially in terms of pronunciation and spelling. Learning more about the language will ensure more success professionally, as well as socially, as assimilation will be faster when you can communicate more fully.

You have a choice between formal and informal language classes. Formal language trainings have structured lessons and exams to evaluate progress. Students receive a certificate after every level achieved. Meanwhile, informal language classes are more flexible and have no formal feedback or assessment requirements. This is good for those who wish to improve their conversational and listening skills, and gain friends. Lessons are usually based on settlement themes for both types of language training.

Most immigrant-serving organizations and agencies in the province offer free language courses or can refer you to one. Some even offer child-minding services for busy parents or allow you to learn English in the comfort of your own home through online learning.


Permanent residents and refugees may avail of free language courses. You may be asked to show the following documents: landing papers, permanent resident card, refugee claimant papers, and/or your Manitoba health card. It will also be a good idea to get a Canadian Language Placement Test (CLBPT) from the Winnipeg English Language Assessment and Referral Centre (WELARC) as many agencies require a referral. WELARC is also a good place to learn about language programs that will best fit your needs (you can call them for an appointment). If you are not in Winnipeg, you can get your language testing from Westman Immigrant Centre (Brandon), or Regional Connections (Winkler, Morden, Altona, and surrounding areas). You can also ask for help from other immigrant serving organizations in other areas. Watch this video to know more about the importance and the process for language testing and training for newcomers to Canada:

Language training programs

Free programs:

  • Check the Directory of Adult Literacy Programs and Adult Learning Centres in Manitoba for various language and skills trainings nearest you. These learning centres may offer more than language training. Some also offer preparation for the General Education Development (GED) certificate for those who need to earn high school credits and/or high school diplomas to access education and employment
  • English Online’s unique settlement and language-learning program is the only one in the province offered online. Learners have free access to settlement information and language training materials at the Live and Learn site. Registration allows you access to more language learning resources such as coffee chats, webinars and others. For a more intensive program, and if you cannot attend face-to-face classes, you can opt for the LINC Home Study program which provides one-on-one instruction with an e-facilitator. Read some of our Newcomer Stories or watch the video below to know how the program works.


  • Mosaic Newcomer Family Resource Network also offers training courses with child-minding services. Aside from these, they have family-friendly parenting programs that allow social networking for newcomer parents.
  • Red River College also has an English for Specific Purposes course for those who want to pursue training opportunities or work in specific occupations (for permanent residents only).
  • You can learn English used in the workplace at the Enhanced English Skills for Employment Program.
  • A&O Support Services for Older Adults offers a English conversation classes for seniors. Aside from practicing English skills, it allows participants to connect with people in their community and learn about programs and services for older adults in Winnipeg. The program is for immigrants 55 and older.
  • Winnipeg School Division’s English as an Additional Language (EAL) program provides practical training in English for settlement, educational and employment purposes. Classes may be held part-time day and in the evenings.
  • Informal language programs that offer activities like conversation circles are offered by several organizations in Manitoba. Here’s a list from MANSO: Informal Language Programs
  • The University of St. Boniface has various levels of French language programs for Manitoban immigrants.

Paid programs

Back to top


Language training courses in Manitoba

Back to top

We'd love to hear from you!

Please login to tell us what you think.

Related Learning Activities

Relaxation Idioms

Article thumbnail fallback

Study the PowerPoint to learn this week’s idioms.

Taxes – Based on Expenses Idioms

Canadian income tax booklet and papers.

Virtual Learning – Based on Learning Idioms

Article thumbnail fallback

Pay It Forward – Based on Happiness and Excitement Idioms

Happy woman holding a laptop

Back to top

CC BY-NC-SAText of this page is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA, unless otherwise marked. Please attribute to English Online Inc. and link back to this page where possible. For images and videos, check the source for licensing information.