Immigrant serving organizations
- Many immigrant-serving organizations in Manitoba offer free language courses.
- IRCC funds them to provide courses for various levels of English courses.
- Some offer child-minding services for parents.
- Others offer online learning where you can study at home.
- There are formal and informal language classes.
- Formal language trainings have lessons and exams to evaluate progress. You will receive a certificate after each level you finish successfully.
- Informal language classes are more flexible and have no formal feedback or assessment requirements. This is good for those who wish to improve their conversational and listening skills, and gain friends.
Permanent residents and refugees can enroll in free language courses. You will need the following:
- Applied Linguistics Centre has full-time classes for CLB levels 1-8. They last for 2-3 months.
- Heartland International English School offers ESL programs from beginner to advanced levels. They have full-time and part-time study programs.
- The University of Manitoba offers part-time courses for English for Academic Purposes.
- The University of Winnipeg’s Workplace Communication Skills Enhancement for Internationally Educated Professionals has communication coaches. They work with you to improve your oral and technical writing skills, communication styles, and more.
- Red River College’s Intensive English for International Students focuses on language skills for living and studying in Canada. Activities include classroom study, field trips, computer laboratory work, informational interviews, community contact assignments, and others.
Back to top
We'd love to hear from you!
Please login to tell us what you think.