Setting English learning goals the SMART way
Read Original Version (CLB5+) You are reading the Simple Version (CLB3-4)
Why do you need to set goals when you study English?
- They keep you on track.
- They encourage you to achieve more.
What are SMART goals?
- A good guide to setting goals.
- It means Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time- based.
- SMART goals say what you are going to do and how you are going to do it.
How to make SMART goals
Make it Specific
- Decide on what type of skills you want to improve on.
- Examples: pronouncing certain words, writing better emails, increasing vocabulary, etc.
- Choose one or two skills you would like to work on.
- Start small. When you succeed, move on to another language skill.
How are you going to Measure your goals?
- Set ways to know that you have reached your goals.
- Examples: If your goal is to increase your vocabulary:
- Learned five new words this week
- Used them in an email or conversation correctly
Make it Attainable
- Don’t make your goals too hard.
- Make it realistic for the amount of time you set.
- For example: If you want to write better emails:
- focus on writing a short paragraph for now.
- make it simple and error-free.
When you have done this, you can write longer emails.
Is it Relevant?
- Choose activities related to your language learning goal.
- Select classes in line with your goals and language level.
- For example, if you want to write good emails, enrol in a writing-based English class. Don’t go to an academic writing class.
- Ask the coordinator about the skills they will teach for the program. See if it is useful for your goal.
Set a Time frame for accomplishing a goal.
- Allot time every week to work on your goal.
- It can be 20 minutes every day, or two hours on a weekend. Decide what works best for you.
- Set a date to start and a target date to reach each goal.
- Give more time for harder goals.
- Set the schedule and get to work!
Need more help?
Back to top
We'd love to hear from you!
Please login to tell us what you think.