Do you need legal help?

Skip to:

Individuals and families who need legal assistance may call or approach several agencies in Manitoba. These services are usually given free, especially to low-income individuals, or at a minimal cost:

Legal questions/information

If you need to be clear on matters of Canadian or Manitoban laws, you can call the Law Phone-In and Lawyer Referral Service. They provide general legal information and can also refer a lawyer to you. This service is provided by the Community Legal Education Association (CLEA).

You can also consult the Legal Help Centre which offers public legal help, education aside from information, and referrals. Their drop-in clinic is open every Tuesdays and Thursdays (except for holidays) from 1:00–4:00 pm. You can also access legal information on their website.

Hiring a lawyer

Some settlement service providers can refer you to legal help, especially if it involves family violence. Both CLEA and the Legal Help Center also provide referral services. You can also check with Family Law Manitoba for recommendations. If you want to look for a lawyer independently, you can use online resources such as the Law Society of Manitoba’s Lawyer Look-up, Canadian Law List, or JusticeNet.

Matters of separation and divorce

The Family Law Manitoba website is where you can get information and resources, as well as legal assistance. It is comprehensive and easy to read. The province also offers Family Resolution Service which has a host of culturally and linguistically appropriate support services that families might need. This includes social, legal, and metal health support and services.


You can go to your nearest Settlement Provider Organization, like Immigrant Centre Manitoba, for assistance. Generally, lawyers can notarize documents such as affidavits, certified true copies of original documents, power of attorney, and other documents for a fee.
Article updated March 20, 2024.

Back to top


Do you need legal help?

Back to top

We'd love to hear from you!

Please login to tell us what you think.

Related Learning Activities

The importance of having a will

Article thumbnail fallback

Having a proper well could save you and your family from financial disaster. Join this workshop to discover the importance… Read more »

Seeking legal representation in Manitoba

Smiling lawyer leaning on shelf in law library

Have you ever needed a lawyer or had a legal question you couldn’t get answered in a timely manner? Attend… Read more »

Law and Justice Workshops

Gavel, used in a court of law.

Want to learn more about the legal system in Canada? This series of workshops will discuss a variety of topics… Read more »

Back to top

CC BY-NC-SAText of this page is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA, unless otherwise marked. Please attribute to English Online Inc. and link back to this page where possible. For images and videos, check the source for licensing information.