5 pre-departure essentials

Read Original Version (CLB5+) You are reading the Simple Version (CLB3-4)

Skip to:

  1. Attend free pre-departure orientation seminars

    Learn about:

    • Canadian culture
    • employment
    • supports for newcomers
    • answers to your questions about moving to Canada

    Pre-departure orientation seminars

    You can attend if you have:

    • an invitation letter from CIIP/COA
    • medical notification letter
    • visa pick-up notification letter, or
    • visa but have not yet landed in Canada

    To register: Go to the CIIP or COA website; and Entry Program or SOPA.

  2. Learn English

    English is necessary to survive in Canada. You need it to:

    • get information
    • ask for help
    • participate in community life
    • get a job

    Improve your English skills by:

  3. See our learning options here: Learn. Know more about English Online from this video:

  4. Learn about living and working in Manitoba

    Join forums or Facebook groups. You can:

    • talk about concerns.
    • get tips for newcomers.
    • ask questions and receive answers from the members.
    • Be careful about advice on forums. Members are not immigration experts.
    • For immigration rules and laws, ask Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

    Join English Online’s free career and settlement mentorship service.

    • You can sign up once you arrive in Manitoba
    • Talk to a Career e-Mentor about working in Manitoba.
    • Ask for a Settlement e-Volunteer to learn about life and culture.
    • All sessions are done on Skype.
    • You and your mentor set a meeting schedule.

  5. Connect with SPOs

    Settlement Provider Organizations (SPOs) give free services to permanent residents and refugees.
    They can:

    • teach English to newcomers.
    • provide family services like parenting and child-care.
    • help in housing, career orientation and job placement.
  6. How to connect:

    • Read SPO websites to know their services.
    • Contact SPOs while you are still in your home country.
    • Contact New Journey Housing. Ask about housing options.

  7. Connect with your professional association

    • See if your profession is regulated: Regulated professions and Trades.
    • Know your professional association.
      • Check their website or contact them.
      • Get the requirements for certification or licensing.
      • Start the process from your home country. Your licensing can be faster and less expensive.

Back to top

We'd love to hear from you!

Please login to tell us what you think.

Join a Virtual Coffee Chat

5 pre-departure essentials

January 26, 2017 @ 10:00 am

This event has passed. All dates and times are Winnipeg local time.

5 pre-departure essentials

January 27, 2017 @ 7:00 pm

This event has passed. All dates and times are Winnipeg local time.

Related Learning Activities

Idioms Set: Seasons

clip art icons of seasons

In this idioms set you’ll find Canadian idioms relating to seasons of the year in Manitoba. Click on each lesson… Read more »

Get to know child and family services

Article thumbnail fallback

What to do if you have a car accident in Manitoba

Article thumbnail fallback

Having a car accident can be very distressing. Knowing exactly what to if this happens is of utmost importance. Attend… Read more »

The importance of having a will

Article thumbnail fallback

Having a proper well could save you and your family from financial disaster. Join this workshop to discover the importance… Read more »

Back to top

CC BY-NC-SAText of this page is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA, unless otherwise marked. Please attribute to English Online Inc. and link back to this page where possible. For images and videos, check the source for licensing information.