Folklorama is a summer tradition
- It is one of the most popular festivals in the province.
- It has a multi-cultural flavour and wide variety of entertainment. You can:
- see cultural performances and displays
- experience as many global cultures as you can
- enjoy an atmosphere respect, appreciation for diversity, and the celebration of Manitoba’s multiculturalism.
What is Folklorama?
- It is a festival held in August. It runs for two weeks.
- It has:
It has more than 40 pavilions each year. Each one presents a unique culture.The pavilions are run by volunteers.The pavilions are in various venues throughout Winnipeg.
- multicultural presentations (songs and dances)
- authentic ethnic food
- cultural demonstrations and other activities
The venues are near one another.You can visit more than one pavilion per evening.One set of pavilions are featured on the first week.A different set is featured on the second week.Visit these sites on your own or through a tour.There are many types of VIP Tours. They include:
- in school auditoriums
- cultural centres
Choose from the many VIP Tour options on the website.
- passes to two to three pavilions
- air-conditioned transportation (except for VIP Cycle and VIP Walking Tours)
- reserved seating
- a meal
- a guided cultural display tour
Why should you see Folklorama?
It’s fun and educational
- It has:
Friendly ambassadors are in each pavilion. They can tell you about the culture they are representing.Learn global cultures the fun way.
- amazing dances
- lively music
- colourful traditional attires
- beautiful ethnic crafts
- delicious food
It is the largest and longest-running festival of its kind in the world
- Folklorama began in 1970. It was held to celebrate Manitoba’s centennial.
- It started with 21 pavilions. They were open for one week.
- The festival was so popular that it had more than 75,000 visits. It has been held every year since.
- Folklorama is hailed for being a pioneer in promoting Manitoba’s ethno-cultural communities.
- It has won numerous tourism awards.
- It has been recognized for having a strong volunteer program.
- It is one of the Top 20 major events that bring visitors to Canada.
It mostly run by volunteers
- Folklorama takes 20,000 volunteers. They help run Folklorama every year.
- It is an opportunity for the volunteers to promote their own ethno-cultural heritage.
- Folklorama offers fun and engaging roles for those who want to volunteer.
- Join the Team Folklorama Youth Division if you are 14-25 years old. It has activities that provide mentorship, networking and skill-building all year-round.
- Interested in volunteering? Go to this page: Volunteers
Advance tickets now offered online
- Buy tickets online starting July 1, 2018.
- Avoid lining up for tickets at the entrance of each pavilion.
- Single admission tickets (adult/senior/youth) is $6 + service fee.
- Children 12 and under are free (maximum five per paid adult).
- Buy group tickets and get discounts.
- Admission information
Enjoying Folklorama the best way:
- Get a copy of the Folklorama Travel Guide. It has:
Get the guides at:
- pavilion opening times and locations. There is a map in the centre of the guide.
- descriptions of the food and entertainment per site.
Most people visit three pavilions in one night.You can come back and visit more pavilions.Arrive early to avoid line-ups.Ask ahead for reservations to the show and dinner. Do this if you want to be seated together with your group.Bring cash. Not all pavilions accept cards.The admission ticket price does not include food and beverage.Ask permission at the entrance before using your camera. Not all pavilions allow photos and videos.
- Manitoba Liquor Marts
- Cambrian Credit Union branches
- Vickar Automotive Group dealerships
- 7-Eleven branches
- Folklorama office
Folklorama Festival is on August 5-18, 2018.
Back to top
We'd love to hear from you!
Please login to tell us what you think.