Spring is here! Spring starts in mid or late March in Manitoba. It ends in May or mid-June.
Signs of spring
- The days start to get longer.
- Birds and other animals are back. You will see rabbits and squirrels in your backyard.
- Trees and plants begin to grow their leaves again.
- Flowers start to bloom.
- More fruits and vegetables at stores and farmer’s markets.
- Less snow on the road and in your backyard.
- Rainy days.
- Joggers and bikers are outside.
Spring is the best time for . . .
- Preparing for summer – Get your summer clothes ready. Prepare your sunblock, flip-flops and shorts. Get your body ready too. Start working out to get that bikini body for summer.
- Family outings – Spring break and Easter are coming. You will have more time for family activities. Enjoy Easter egg hunts, festivals and spring break activities in museums and parks. Get the Leisure Guide to know more activities this spring.
- Barbecues – It’s the perfect weather to have a barbecue. Have a barbecue with friends to celebrate the end of winter and to welcome summer.
- Building your immunity – Spring is allergy season. Pollen released by trees and plants to the air causes this. You can experience runny nose, itchy eyes and sneezing. Go to your doctor. Ask for medicines to ease your allergies. Keep your doors and windows closed to prevent pollen from coming in. Use an air purifier, clean your air filters and vacuum twice a week.
- Spring cleaning –Check molds and mildew in damp places in your house. Start cleaning your bathrooms, kitchen, laundry area and basement. Clean your backyard before moving patio furniture. Store your winter coat and boots. Don’t forget to change smoke detector batteries. Read Taking care of your home in summer for other tips.
Back to top
We'd love to hear from you!
Please login to tell us what you think.