Is a child automatically a citizen if born in Manitoba?

Skip to:

Are you a newcomer who is about to give birth or have just given birth to your child? You may have some of the following questions in mind:

My husband and I are permanent residents. I am giving birth in Canada. Is my child automatically a citizen?

Yes. According to the Citizenship Act, a person born in Canada is considered a Canadian citizen. However, it is important to note that while the child is a citizen, this does not automatically bestow citizenship upon the parents.

Other questions about citizenship? Read: See if you may be a citizen

Is it necessary to register my child’s birth?

Manitoba law requires the birth of each child born in Manitoba to be recorded in the provincial vital event registry. Also, your child will not be able to get a birth certificate if you do not register him/her. The birth certificate is an important document required to apply for government programs, passport, Social Insurance Number (SIN), driver’s license and other government-issued identification, or enrollment at the school.

How do I register my child?

If you gave birth in a hospital/health facility:

  • The health care staff will give you the Registration of Birth package. In the package, you will find the Registration of Birth in Manitoba form. Make sure that this form is filled out completely and accurately (omissions and errors can cause a delay). Return the form to the hospital or health facility staff before you go home.
  • There is no cost to the registration if the form is filled out correctly and completely and submitted within five days of the birth or before your release from the hospital/health facility.
  • It may take several weeks to register. Booking travel is not recommended until you get your child’s birth certificate.

If you gave birth at home:

  • Contact the Vital Statistics Agency to arrange for registration.
  • Fill out and check if the form is completed correctly. Return the form to Government of Manitoba Statistics Agency.
  • As mentioned, registering takes several weeks. Don’t travel until you get your child’s birth certificate.

Delayed registration of birth: If your child born in Canada has not been registered and is 1 year or older, contact the Vital Statistics Agency to complete a delayed registration of birth. There is a $30 fee.

Manitobans can now apply for Birth Certificates online. Go to Online Certificate Application for more details and to apply.

Applying for SIN and Canada Child Benefits: You may choose to apply for your child’s Social Insurance Number (SIN) and the Automated Benefits Application (ABA) service right away by completing the appropriate sections on your child’s Registration of Birth form. There is no fee for this service.

For help with the form, go to: Frequently asked questions and help with the birth registration form.

Can my baby come with us to visit our home country?

Yes, but your child will need a passport. Your child can use his/her Canadian passport to visit more than 100 countries without a visa (or get a visa upon arrival). Check if your home country is one of these countries. However, each country will have its own requirements as to the length of stay allowed and other particulars (for example, a consent letter is needed in some countries if you are travelling with children without your spouse). To be safe, check the visa and travel requirements of the country you are planning to go to before buying a ticket.

To get a passport for your child, know the steps and requirements here: How to apply for a child’s passport, at the IRCC webage.

Article updated as of October, 2019. As this is only a guide, please check with the appropriate agency before applying as requirements and fees may change.

Sources: See if you may be a citizen, IRCC, Government of Canada and Register a Manitoba birth, Vital Statistics Agency. Both accessed September 6, 2017.

Back to top

Community Resources

Did you know that you can become a citizen without applying to be one? To find out if you may be a citizen, use the Am I Canadian Citizen? tool.

Back to top

We'd love to hear from you!

Please login to tell us what you think.

Related Learning Activities

What to do if you have a car accident in Manitoba

graphic of car collision at a stop

Having a car accident can be very distressing. Knowing exactly what to if this happens is of utmost importance. Attend… Read more »

WorkCom_Before you begin

A woman giving a presentation at work

Thinking about your knowledge and skills is an independent learning strategy. When you think about what you can do and what… Read more »

WorkCom_Week 4

A woman giving a presentation at work

This is our last week of Workplace Communications. This time you are in the driver’s seat. We look forward to your presentation… Read more »

WorkCom_Week 3

A woman giving a presentation at work

We have now reached week 3 of Workplace Communications! This week, we are engaging in a number of activities that allow… Read more »

Back to top

CC BY-NC-SAText of this page is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA, unless otherwise marked. Please attribute to English Online Inc. and link back to this page where possible. For images and videos, check the source for licensing information.