Travelling abroad? You will need these documents

A world map with a passport on top.

Adaptation of images from Pixabay  CC0

Skip to:

Leaving Manitoba to visit home or to vacation outside of Canada? To ensure a worry-free travel, it is best to be ready with the following documents and information:

Necessary documents:

  1. Passport – Many countries require a passport validity of six months from the time of departure, but this may vary depending on the country you are going to. To be safe, check passport validity requirements before you buy your tickets.
    If you need to have your passport renewed before leaving Manitoba, consult your home country’s embassy or consulate: 25 local Consular corps (in Winnipeg) or Foreign embassies and consulates in Canada (most are in Ontario). Some consulates conduct outreach programs where they bring services like passport renewals to Manitoba. Contact your consulate.
  2. Visa – you may need a visa to enter a country to visit. It is important to find out the entry/exit requirements before you buy your ticket. You can check with the specific country’s embassy or consulate or go to the Government of Canada’s Travel Advice and Advisories. You will also learn about the current issues in a particular destination like natural hazards or safety and security conditions. If you are using a travel agency to book tickets, they should also advise you about entry/exit requirements.

  3. Proof of your valid PR status – If you are a permanent resident, you will need proof of your PR status when you return (this applies to all family members who are permanent residents, including children). If you are re-entering Canada by commercial carrier (plane, train, boat or bus), you can present:
  4. If you are travelling by car (or any private vehicle), there are other immigration documents that you can present:

    1. If you are a permanent resident and a member of the NEXUS or FAST programs, you must travel with your membership card and carry a passport and proof of permanent residence.
    2. If you are a U.S. citizen, you must carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with a photo identification.
    3. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, carry proof of your status such as a U.S. permanent resident card.
    • If your PR card expired (or is lost) while you are outside Canada, you will need to apply for a permanent resident travel document from a Canadian visa office abroad.
  5. Travelling with minors – if you are travelling with minors (a child under the age of 18 in MB) and either you are their parent but the other parent is not travelling with you, or you are not the parent or legal guardian, a consent letter may be required. The consent letter signifies that you are authorized to take them on a trip and enter Canada. It should contain their parents’ (or the legal guardian’s) full name, address, signature and telephone number. Having the consent letter notarized further supports its authenticity and can help avoid delays (but is not mandatory). You can get a consent letter template on this page: Recommended consent letter for children travelling abroad.For more tips on traveling with minors, go to
  6. Travelling with pets – the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) has established import requirements for all animals entering Canada, including pets. The type of document that will be required depends on the kind of animal that you will be travelling with. Check the CFIA page: Importing or Travelling with Pets to know the specific requirements. Read Can I come too? Protecting pets when they travel for additional information.

Other important things to remember

  • You don’t lose your PR status automatically when your PR card expires or if the card is stolen or misplaced.
  • As a permanent resident, you can live outside of Canada, but you are required to live in Canada for at least two years within a five-year period. To keep track of your stay, use a travel journal.
  • Health card validity – you remain eligible for Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living coverage when you travel outside of the country. See What happens if I need to see a doctor or receive medical attention while away? for out-of-the-country coverage. If you will be away on extended vacation or travel (90 days or more in a 12-month period), apply for a Term Registration Certificate to ensure health benefits. However, Manitoba Health recommends buying private health insurance to supplement your Manitoba Health, Seniors and Active Living coverage. Health/hospital services may cost higher in other countries.

Back to top

Community Resources

Do you have more questions? Go to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Help Centre for answers.

Back to top


Back to top

We'd love to hear from you!

Please login to tell us what you think.

Related Learning Activities

What to do if you have a car accident in Manitoba

graphic of car collision at a stop

Having a car accident can be very distressing. Knowing exactly what to if this happens is of utmost importance. Attend… Read more »

WorkCom_Before you begin

A woman giving a presentation at work

Thinking about your knowledge and skills is an independent learning strategy. When you think about what you can do and what… Read more »

WorkCom_Week 4

A woman giving a presentation at work

This is our last week of Workplace Communications. This time you are in the driver’s seat. We look forward to your presentation… Read more »

WorkCom_Week 3

A woman giving a presentation at work

We have now reached week 3 of Workplace Communications! This week, we are engaging in a number of activities that allow… Read more »

Back to top

CC BY-NC-SAText of this page is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA, unless otherwise marked. Please attribute to English Online Inc. and link back to this page where possible. For images and videos, check the source for licensing information.