Below is a comprehensive list of our current settlement themes, topics and articles. For a list of learning options, activities, and lessons, see our Activities Index.
Scroll down to view themes alphabetically or click a theme here to skip ahead:
- Canadian Citizenship
- Canadian citizenship: Your rights and responsibilities as a citizen
- Do I become a citizen when I marry a Canadian?
- 10 more things you should know about Canada
- 11 basic facts about Canada
- 5 amazing facts about the creation of the National Flag of Canada
- 5 must-see places in Canada
- 5 things to know about Canadian Thanksgiving
- Canada from A to Z
- Canada’s five regions
- Canadian cultural values and beliefs
- Canadian Holidays
- Canadian immigration stats
- Canadian postal codes and abbreviations for provinces and territories
- Defending Canada
- From eggs to whips: Easter celebrations all over the world
- Hockey terms and lingo
- Newcomer’s guide to hockey
- Official Canadian symbols
- What are we remembering on Remembrance Day?
- What is Boxing Day and should you celebrate it?
- What is Canadian cuisine?
- Who is Victoria and why do we celebrate her day?
- Why do we celebrate National Aboriginal Day on June 21?
- 5 facts about Manitoba’s founder Louis Riel
- 5 Great Canadians in history (part 2)
- 5 Great Canadians in recent history
- Canada’s immigration history
- From fur to wheat: How immigration changed the Canadian Prairie landscape
- Great Canadians in history
- Refused entry: Canada’s early days of xenophobia
- What’s up with Canada 150?
Immigrating to Canada
- 11 ways to immigrate to Canada
- 5 steps to getting a PR visa through the MPNP for Skilled Worker Overseas
- Applying for immigration in 7 steps
- Beware of these immigration scams
- Express Entry: 5 tips to improve your chances of success
- Interested in immigrating to Manitoba? Learn about the changes in the MPNP
- Interested in immigrating? Here are 5 steps that you can take
- Sponsoring parents and grandparents to Manitoba
- Your “before moving to Canada” checklist
Aboriginal Service Providers
- Cartwright Killarney Boissevain Settlement Services
- Ethnocultural and faith based organizations
- Francophone services in MB (Services francophones au Manitoba)
- Immigrant Serving Organizations
- Neepawa and Area Immigrant Settlement Services
- Parkland Immigration Community Services
- Portage la Prairie Newcomers’ Welcome Centre
- SOPA: Your key to getting job-ready for Canada
- Specialized services for refugees in Manitoba
- Swan Valley Settlement and Immigrant Services
- Thompson Newcomer Settlement Services
- Virden and District Settlement Services
- Westman Immigrant Services
Tips for newcomer success
- 7 Success secrets for Canadian immigrants
- Great New Year’s resolutions to make 2017 your best year ever
- Making your New Year’s resolutions work
- Top TED Talks to watch for motivation
- What is the most important ingredient to newcomer success (part 4)
- What is the most important ingredient to newcomer success?
- What is the most important ingredient to newcomer success? (part 2)
- What is the most important ingredient to newcomer success? (part 3)
- 3 ways a good digital presence can get you a job
- 30 computer terms every beginner should know
- 5 ways LinkedIn™ can help your career
- Digital skills that will get you hired
- Lost in Cyberspeak? Basic terms you should know
- Open badges: a novel way of recognizing learning
- Social media basics
- The three P’s of a productive online chat
- Tips to maximize your online experience
- Top 5 tips for better online video communication
- What you should know about digital citizenship
- 5 simple principles of proper netiquette
- 8 formal email etiquette tips you should remember
- Are you a cyberbully?
- Are you ready for your online class?
Health & Wellness
- Common health issues related to technology use
- Focus on eye health for computer users
- Health tips for computer users (or 6 ways to avoid dying on your desk)
- Planning on going back to school? Here are resources to back you up
- Reach your goals faster – 5 steps to a personal learning plan
Elementary & Secondary Education
- Finding the right school for your child
- Is your child being bullied? Or being a bully?
- Online resources and links for parents with school-age kids
- Preparing for a parent-teacher conference
- Preparing your child for a new school
- Should my child be in the French Immersion Program?
- Top 5 tips for preparing your kids’ school lunches
- What to do when your child is being bullied: 5 effective steps
Finding a Daycare
- 5 steps to finding child care services
- 5 tips to keep your kids healthy at daycare
- Types of child care centres in Manitoba
Planning for your child's future
- 5 steps to credential assessment and licensing
- Don’t let these 5 career myths hold you back
- Employment seminars. Do you need them?
- How to increase your chances of getting a job? Be well-informed!
- Is going into the trades a good career or alternative profession?
- Self-Assessment: Your first step to success
- Soft skills: The key to getting and staying employed
- Thinking of a career shift?
- What are “Alternative Professions”?
- What are essential skills?
- What is a Career Plan and why do you need it?
- 5 essential facts about workplace safety
- All about employment insurance
- The 8 habits of very safe workers
- What are employment standards?
- 10 steps to a Canadian-style resume
- 5 best strategies to ace that interview
- 5 tips for successful interview small talk
- 5 tips to tailor and update your resume
- 7 tips for writing great emails
- 8 cover letter qualities that will get you that interview
- Body language do’s and don’ts for a job interview
- Feeling lost in your career? Find a mentor!
- Getting ahead of objections to being hired
- How is a typical job interview conducted?
- How to dress for a job interview
- How to follow up job applications
- How to have a successful phone or Skype interview
- How to research a prospective employer before an interview
- More cover letter tips to get your application noticed
- Nervous about your English? Tips to help you express yourself well in an interview
- The most common job interview questions you should prepare for
- What to do when you don’t get the job
- Why work for free? The value of volunteering
- 5 ways newcomers can start building a professional network
- Essential documents for newcomers
- How can employment agencies help you?
- How to stay motivated through a rough job search
- Is a survival job for you?
- Surefire ways of finding a job in Manitoba
- Tips to maximize your online job search
Licensure and Registration
- There are not yet any articles in this topic. We are adding new content regularly - check back soon.
Other Sources of Income
- 5 steps to starting a business in Canada
- Can you be self-employed?
- Supports for entrepreneurs in Manitoba
- “It will take sacrifice, but it is worth it!” Interview with Herbert Herrera, CPA, CGA
- “Nursing is a long term investment.” Interview with Linda Olson, RN
- Interview with Ray Sator, PEng. – Filipino Engineers and Geoscientists in Manitoba
- Registration, certification and licensing? What do they mean?
- 10 pointers to help you fit in at work
- 5 guidelines for proper meeting etiquette
- 5 strategies for working with people from other cultures
- 7 verbal communication tips to help you integrate in the workplace
- 7 ways to advance your career without ruining your summer plans
- Before you accept the job offer…
- Canadian workplace culture do’s and don’ts
- Cultural sensitivity: 3 things not to say or do in a multicultural setting
- How to excel in your new job
- Is it time to ask for a promotion?
- Professional telephone skills and etiquette
- Starting a new job? Here’s how to have the best first day
- Supports to help you in the workplace
- Want to get ahead in the Canadian workplace? Be a lifelong learner!
Common Health Problems
- 5 tips for staying healthy in Manitoba
- 7 winter health tips for newcomers
- Healthy eating habits for newcomers
- How to stay active in winter
- Taking care of your health this fall
- Tick season in Manitoba: How to protect yourself from bites
- Making a health emergency plan? Make E.R.I.K. a part of it
- What to do in a health emergency
- What to do when you lose a loved one in MB
Finding a Family Doctor
- How to get a doctor in Manitoba
- Preparing for a doctor’s appointment
Health Care Options
- 5 important facts about your Manitoba Health Care coverage
- Accessing health care services
- Do I need supplementary health insurance?
- Immunization and public health
- Know your 9 patient rights and responsibilities
- Resources and services for Manitobans with disabilities
- Stay safe! Practice safe use of medications
- Your guide to pharmacies and medications
Mental Health & Addiction Services
- Caring for your mental health
- Coping with change
- Coping with stress and depression during the holidays
- Is home still where your heart is? Learning about reverse culture shock
Pregnancy & Maternity
Canada: Officially Bilingual
- 10 easy ways to improve your English
- 5 easy ways to expand your English vocabulary
- 5 steps to an engaging presentation
- Audio resources to help you hone your English
- Great video resources for self-study
- Language training programs in Manitoba
- Tips when proofreading and editing your work
- Tired of studying English? Here’s what you can do to get your enthusiasm back
- Language tests for living, studying, and working in Canada
- Top free online review resources for IELTS
- Your communication skills and the CLB
- 5 best reasons to learn English online
- Best online resources for learning English
- More online resources for English language learners
- Online resources for developing your writing skills
- Online resources to improve English pronunciation
- Top 10 free apps for learning English
Private Language Classes
Taxpayer-funded Language Classes
Becoming a Self-Directed Learner
- 4 steps to becoming a self-directed learner
- 5 tools for learning anything on-the-go
- Busy? Here are 5 ways you can keep on learning
- 5 biggest myths about online learning
- 5 reasons why you should try online learning
- 5 ways to make distance learning work for you
- Advance your career in 2017 by taking free courses online
- How to ask your online teacher for help
- How to maximize the power of online learning
- Why should you learn with Live & Learn?
Personal Learning Network
Reflecting on Learning
- There are not yet any articles in this topic. We are adding new content regularly - check back soon.
- 10 Manitoba immigration facts
- 5 winter dangers and how to manage them
- Industries and resources in Manitoba
- Is it really colder than Mars? The truth about Manitoba weather
- Learning about Manitoban cities
- The regions of Manitoba
- Top 10 Manitoba facts
- Winter hacks every Manitoban should know
Communications & Media
- Can you Can-speak 2
- Can you Can-speak 3
- Can you Can-speak?
- Magazines in Manitoba
- Manitoba’s media outlets
- Postal services in Manitoba
- 5 big ideas for better small talk
- Adapting to Canadian culture
- Facts about Indigenous culture and history you should know
- Get to know the Indigenous Peoples of Manitoba
- Myths and facts about Indigenous peoples
- What newcomers need to know about residential schools
- 5 things to know before buying a house in MB
- Do you need assistance for getting settled? Here’s where to get help
- Financing basics for first-time homebuyers
- Fire safety tips for newcomers
- Housing Basics: What you need to know
- How do I find a place to rent?
- Rental ad terms you need to know
- Renting an apartment in MB
- Taking care of your home in summer
- Tips before moving to a new rental home
- Types of rental housing in MB
- What’s a space heater? Canadian house features you should know about
Parenting and Family
- 5 ways to keep your pets safe and comfortable in winter
- Essential facts about parenting in Canada
- Helping your children cope with change
- How to keep school kids safe in extreme weather
- Is a child automatically a citizen if born in Manitoba?
- Services and activities for visitors to Canada
- Services for newcomer older adults
- Supports for newcomer moms (or expectant moms)
- Supports for stay-at-home moms (and dads)
- Swimming safety for kids
- The New Canada Child Benefit program
- Tips for keeping your kids safe
- What is a summer camp? Should I send my child to one?
- What is family violence and how to get help
- Your guide to dressing your kids for winter
- 5 pre-departure essentials
- Arranging temporary housing before you arrive
- How much does it cost to live in Manitoba?
- Tips for handling your settlement funds
- 10 easy steps to prepare for a road trip
- 20+ free (and almost free) things to do in Manitoba
- 5 reasons to see Folklorama this year (and every year)
- 5 things to know about the Canadian Museum for Human Rights
- 5 things to watch out for in spring
- 5 ways to stay productive this summer
- 8 ways to spend your weekends in MB
- Camping tips for beginners
- Don’t bring inflatables! And other beach safety tips
- Getting your travel plans ready? Here’s a list of holidays in Manitoba for 2017
- Manitoba’s winter festivals
- Preparing for a summer vacation: safety and security tips
- Quick tips to remember when staying outdoors in summer
- Summer festivals in Manitoba
- Summer food safety tips
- Want to know more about your new country? Visit a museum
- What is Crokinole? Canada’s lesser-known sports, games and pastimes
- 5 steps for lodging an effective customer complaint
- Community safety and security
- Craving for your native dish? You just might find it here
- Essential documents for newcomers 2
- Looking forward to garage sale season
- Nutrition, cooking and gardening programs in Winnipeg
- Stores and brands in Manitoba
- Till death do us part: All about getting married in Manitoba
- Travelling abroad? You will need these documents
- When things don’t work out: Getting separated or divorced in MB
- Your Manitoba shopping guide
- 10 pet peeves when taking the bus
- 10 things you need to know about taking the bus
- 5 points to consider when buying a car
- Getting around Manitoba
- How to get a driver’s licence in MB
- Top 3 winter driving tips
- Top 5 summer driving tips
- What to do if you’ve been in a car accident
Your First Few Days
- 5 best ways to stay up-to-date
- 5 things I love about being an immigrant
- 5 tips to get you ready for fall in MB
- 9 Things I didn’t know about Manitoba until I got here
- Are you ready for spring?
- Did you know that there are different types of snow?
- Garbage, plumbing and other household concerns
- Is it spring yet? 7 wonderful things spring brings
- Manitoba libraries: Books and so much more
- Orientation programs in MB
- What is Daylight Saving time?
- Your first few days in Manitoba: A newcomer checklist
- Essential facts newcomers need to know about financial institutions in Manitoba
- Understanding credit
- Understanding your credit history
- What is a debit card? Basic banking and financial terms you should know
- 5 top money saving tips for newcomers
- 8 additional ways to save on household expenses
- Best ways of sending money to your home country
- Death and finances: 5 things to do to settle the affairs of a loved one
- Do I really need an emergency fund?
- How to make a budget
- Know your Canadian currency
- Manitoba financial assistance programs
- Money problems: When debt catches up
- Top 10 consumer tips
- Top 5 scams newcomers should be aware of
- What is a will and why is it important to have one?
Diversity and Its Limits
Rights & Freedoms
- Canada’s electoral system
- Newcomer rights and freedoms
- What are human rights?
- What does “discrimination” mean?