Reply To: Research about your Profession

Home Forums Research about your Profession Reply To: Research about your Profession


Hi everybody! I would like to be considered for the position of Electrician (NOC 7241) in Winnipeg. The skills and knowledge that I have gained through my Master’s degree in the sphere of electric and power engineering and the diversity of my work experience make me well qualified for that position.
To legally work in this trade in Manitoba, I must be a registered apprentice or have a Certificate of Qualification and hold a Journeyperson Electrician Licence.
Firstly, to become an Electrician, I must find a qualified employer to hire me as an apprentice. Then I will need to be registered as an apprentice. After my application is approved and my apprenticeship agreement is registered, I will learn the skills of the chosen trade by working closely with certified trades professionals in the business. For the work I do, my employer pays me wage.
The apprenticeship is four years consisting of four levels. Practical and technical training is a minimum of 1800 hours per level. About 80 per cent of the time is spent learning practical on-the-job skills under the supervision of a certified journeyperson and 20 per cent consists of learning the theoretical and technical aspects of the trade through in-school training.
When I successfully complete all my required levels of practical experience and passing the required exams, I will receive my Certificate of Qualification. Then I will achieve 70% or higher on my final exam, I will qualify for an interprovincial or “Red Seal” endorsement.
For general information about apprenticeship trades, training and certification in Manitoba I will direct my inquiries to Apprenticeship Manitoba.
I can not start the official licensing process before my arrive but I could prepare information about potential qualified employer to hire me as an apprentice. Also I can learn about how I will register as an apprentice.