(This page can be translated to your language. Scroll down to the bottom of this page to Translate. Click on the Google or Bing box and choose your language).
Welcome to the English Online Community!
Watch this quick video to know:
- What you’ll learn at EO
- How you’ll learn at EO:
- Learning through Settlement Articles
- Learning through English Language Training
- Learning through Canadian Idioms
- Example ways newcomers learn with EO
Note: The video also talks about how to register with us. Feel free to skip that part if you’re already registered.
Note: You can turn-on captions to translate the video in your own language. To do this, click on “CC” at the bottom of the video screen. This turns on the Closed Captions. You will start seeing words at the bottom of the screen, in English.
To start seeing the captions written in your own language:
- Click on “Settings” or the gear icon next to CC. A menu will pop-up.
- Click on Subtitles/CC (1)
- Click on Auto-translate. A menu will pop-up showing the languages you can choose from.
- Click on the language of your choice.
You will see that the captions have been translated to your language.
Registered learners can also join online classes every day. Check the Events Calendar to know the schedules. At the specified date and time, go to the EO Skype Community and look for the link to the class you want to join. Instructors post the link around 30 minutes before the class starts.
Please note that all online classes are conducted in English.
Still not sure how to start? Look through our Frequently Asked Questions list below. If your question is not on the list, please contact us via email or ask us on the EO Community Chat on Skype.
- When can I start studying with English Online?
- What is the difference between the registration account and the learning platform account?
- What are the ways I can study with English Online?
- How long can I study with English Online?
- Do I have to attend all online classes?
- How do I join online classes?
- How can Instructors help me study with English Online?
- There are different multi-week courses on your website. How do I know when a course will be offered live?
- Do I have to register for every course/online class separately?
- Where do I find the course schedule?
- I have submitted my WELARC referral form and consent form, why was I rejected from LINC Home Study program?
- I was placed on the LINC Home Study waiting list. How long will I wait before I can start?
When can I start studying with English Online?
Register to join online activities and track your learning progress. We’ll help set-up your account after you register.
Start joining activities like Group Study and forum discussions. Ask for an e-Mentor or sign-up for LINC Home Study. Ask an e-Facilitator for help if you don’t know how to start.
What is the difference between the registration account and the learning platform account?
Your first welcome email will come within 2 business days after you complete the online registration. It will have the subject line “EnglishOnline_Your Registration Information” and come from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your second welcome email will come within 3-5 business days. It will have the subject line “Live & Learn Login Info”. It will contain login information and a link to set up your password. The password is only for the learning platform (Livelearn website). This is where you can join group online classes and forums.
How long can I study with English Online?
You can study with us as long as you still meet eligibility requirements. We serve Permanent Residents who are living in Manitoba. If you move out of the province for example, you will become ineligible.
Send an email to: email@example.com when you become ineligible or if you want to stop studying with us.
Do I have to attend all online classes?
No, you don’t. You can choose to attend classes that you like or have time for. But the more you attend the better the results. Practice makes perfect!
How do I join online classes?
Step 1: Go to the Live & Learn Events Calendar to know class schedules for the month.
Go to the EO Community Group on Skype to see the links to classes, instructions, or for questions.
Step 2: Choose which class to attend. We usually have classes at 10-11 am; 12-1 pm; 2-3 pm; and 7-8 pm. Check the Events Calendar or the Classes for Today post every morning on Skype to know which classes will happen for the day.
Step 3: Log on to Skype and go to the EO Community Group 15 minutes before the class starts. Look for the link posted by the instructor. Click on the link. It will take you to the Big Blue Button page. Write your name and click “Join”. You’re in class!
We recommend using Google Chrome. This is the most compatible browser with Big Blue Button.
How can Instructors help me study with English Online?
Instructors are your guides. They answer your questions. They can suggest ways to learn English better.
Ask your instructor to help you make a learning plan. A learning plan is a map that tells you how you can reach your learning goals. It will show what activities you need and how often you need to attend.
There are different multi-week courses on your website. How do I know when a course will be offered live?
Check the Events Calendar for the month. You will see the scheduled Multi-Week Workshops. Any one of these topics will be running:
- Digital Skills at Work
- Become an Autonomous Language Learner (B-ALL)
- Volunteering in Canada
- Workplace Communications
- Diversity in Manitoba
- Summer Course
If you want to see the topics to be discussed in a Multi-Week Workshop, go to the Multi-Week Workshops page. Click on the course you want to attend. It will take you to the Course Description page. Check the lessons per week on the bottom of the page.
Do I have to register for every course/online class separately?
No, you don’t have to.
Check the date and time of the class you want to join. For example, you go the Events Calendar and see that a Coffee Chat will be held on Monday at 10 am. Simply sign in to Skype and go to the EO Community chat 15 to 30 minutes before the class starts. Wait for the instructor to post the link to the class. Click the link and join!
Where do I find the course schedule?
Go to the Events Calendar for Group Study activities. You will see when Coffee Chats, Language Circles, Lunch & Learns, Drop-in workshops, Multi-Week workshops, Citizenship Classes, Reading Club and Advanced Reading Club sessions will be held.
I have submitted my WELARC referral form and consent form, why was I rejected from LINC Home Study program?
There can be several reasons:
- You may not be eligible. You have to be registered with English Online to enroll to LINC.
- Your application may be incomplete. You will be rejected if:
- you uploaded a wrong document
- you forgot to upload a document
- the Adult EAL Referral Form is over a year. It has to be dated within last year. Go to WELARC to renew your referral if it has expired.
- your consent form lacks your signature and the signature of a witness. Check your consent form. Make sure all the fields are complete. Don’t forget to sign it and indicate the date.
- you did not meet the minimum CLB of 3/3/2/2 (Listening/Speaking/Reading/Writing)
- your referral form refers you to a face to face program or it does not refer you to LHS
All LINC Home Study applicants receive a letter after they apply. It will say why your application was rejected. It will also tell you what you need to do to re-apply.
I was placed on the LINC Home Study waiting list. How long will I wait before I can start?
It will depend on two things:
- how many people are on the waiting list, and
- the availability of an instructor that can teach you on the schedule that you want.
It can take weeks to several months.
Use your time well by joining other learning activities. Attend Coffee Chats or Drop-in sessions. Pair up with an EAL e-Tutor, or use self-study materials. We will tell you right away when you are next on the list and an instructor is available. We will send you an email with instructions to start learning with LINC Home Study.
If you need more help getting started, go to: New to English Online? Read thee guides
If you need help going through the livelearn site, go to Help: Learning Platform
If you have questions about the Registration System, go to Help: Registration System