Study the Powerpoint Presentation of this idiom set below:
Now, look at the script of the dialogue. Listen to the dialogue again. This will help you build your listening skills.
Mao and Mandeep are classmates talking in the classroom. This is the first day of the new year.
|Mandeep:||Hi, Mao. Did you have a good holiday?|
|Mao:||Yeah, it was really relaxing. I did not do anything special other than having a family gathering, but I rested well and was able to catch up on my reading. How about you?|
|Mandeep:||I had the worst holiday ever. I came down with the flu or something and couldn’t do anything during the holiday. I was sick for almost two weeks.|
|Mao:||Oh no, I’m so sorry to hear that. Some of my friends and my parents were also sick during the holiday. There must have been something going around this year. How are you feeling today?|
|Mandeep:||I’m better. I’m still feeling a little bit rough though. I just don’t want to stay at home.|
|Mao:||I think you should recharge your batteries completely. You don’t want whatever you had to flare up again, do you?|
|Mandeep:||Yeah, you’re right. I guess I should take it easy.|
Try the quiz below to see if you understand the meaning of each idiom. If you select a different study mode at the bottom right corner of the Quizlet, you can try different types of quizzes.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Elisa is a single mother who has a busy life managing her business at home while taking care of her two kids. She looks forward to doing an hour of yoga twice a week to recharge her batteries. The highlighted phrase means that …CorrectIncorrect
2. Giorgio was feeling a bit rough a week after his operation. The sentence means that…CorrectIncorrect
3. Karen had a cold and cough when she arrived from New York. On the seventh day of her self-isolation, her flu symptoms flared up. This means…CorrectIncorrect
4. As early as December, Jose already noticed that something was going around. Many of his crew on the construction site had to take extended sick days because of persistent flu. “Jose already noticed that something was going around” means that…CorrectIncorrect
5. Mei-Ling said “I have lost my appetite and feeling weak. I think I’m coming down with something.” She is saying that …CorrectIncorrect
Join the Discussion
To "Mark Complete" you must login and complete all the lesson topics.
Please login to view e-facilitator contact information.