Study the power point to get to know this week’s idioms.
Read the following dialogue to see the idioms in context:
|Len:||(Lawn mower engine sounds) Hey Gab! Why don’t you take a break. Here’s some lemonade.|
|Gab:||(Mowing sound stops) Ahhh…that really hit the spot! Thanks!|
|Len:||You’re welcome. I’ve noticed you’ve been working hard all summer.|
|Gab:||Oh just doing some odd jobs to save money. I’ve been donating funds to a local charity that provides school supplies. We’ve helped 100 kids so far.|
|Len:||Wow, 100 kids! That’s mind-blowing! They should give you an award.|
|Gab:||Seeing those kids grinning from ear to ear when they see their new bags, notebooks and other stuff is good enough for me. I’m happy that a lot of kids will be going to school with complete gear.|
|Len:||It’s great that all your hard work is paying off.|
|Gab:||Actually, the charity needs more funds and school opens in less than two months, so I have to raise my game. How about helping me with some jobs?|
|Len:||Sure! Bagging these grass clippings will be a breeze. I can do that for you.|
|Gab:||Thanks for your help! I have three more lawns to finish today. Are you up for it?|
|Len:||For sure! Now let’s go back to work. (Sound of lawn mower starting).|
Now listen to the idioms in context and to hear the proper pronunciation.
Quiz time! Click to flip in the bottom right corner to see a definition. Click the next arrow to go to the next expression. Click Choose a Study Mode to select a different type of quiz for this vocabulary set.
Remember! Practice makes perfect.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. All of Maria's friends are either managing successful businesses or holding high positions at work. She needed to raise her game so she got serious with her studies. She's on track to earn her PhD this year. This means Maria is . . .CorrectIncorrect
2. Victoria’s musical performance blew the judges’ minds! She was declared the winner of the contest and offered a recording contract. Blew the judges’ minds mean …CorrectIncorrect
3. Iqbal couldn’t stop his excitement when he got his Canadian citizenship. He was grinning from ear to ear in all of his photos at the ceremony. Iqbal was grinning from ear to ear means that he was . . .CorrectIncorrect
4. Melinda arrived early at her work every day and made it a point to provide excellent customer service. She is always the last to leave the office and makes sure all her reports are done. All her hard work paid off when she was promoted and given a raise after six months. All her hard work paid off means …CorrectIncorrect
5. Learning the dance steps was a breeze for Yuri. He used to be a professional dancer back home. The first sentence means that Yuri…CorrectIncorrect
Join the Discussion
To "Mark Complete" you must login and complete all the lesson topics.