Read this week’s featured idioms from the Powerpoint below:
Read the dialogue to understand the correct usage of the idioms.
|Naz||Have you heard about Sam and Maria?|
|Wania||No, what happened?|
|Naz||They are getting a divorce.|
|Wania||Really! Maria once mentioned to me that they had a stormy relationship.|
|Naz||I know Sam inside out. It was difficult for him to cope with Maria’s son from her ex-husband.|
|Wania||She must be depressed these days. Why don’t we visit her?|
|Naz||I think we should cut loose from them as both are our good friends. We should give them some time to adjust to this new situation.|
|Wania||I agree. Good walls make good neighbours.|
|Naz||I wish we can build bridges between them. Both of them are wonderful people but it seems that they need to sort out some issues.|
|Wania||Let me call her tomorrow.|
|Naz||If she hasn’t filed for divorce yet, then we can try and help patch up their relationship.|
Listen to the dialogue for correct pronunciation and usage of the above idioms.
Quiz time! Click to flip in the bottom right corner to see a definition. Click the next arrow to go to the next expression. Click choose a study mode to select a different type of quiz for this vocabulary set.
Remember! Practice makes perfect.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. When Teresa moved to the new area, she introduced Friday night potlucks at her house in an effort to build bridges in her neighbourhood. Teresa wants to build bridges means she wants to:CorrectIncorrect
2. Maria cut loose from her boss after he was convicted of tax evasion. This means Maria:CorrectIncorrect
3. Never put Josh and Caroline in the same room. Aside from the sharp glances, they always argue with each other even in public. These two have a:CorrectIncorrect
4. “My mom knows exactly what to say to me because she knows me inside out” means:CorrectIncorrect
5. I believe that good walls make good neighbours so I don’t ask about my co-workers’ political views. This means:CorrectIncorrect
Join the Discussion
To "Mark Complete" you must login and complete all the lesson topics.