Read our featured idioms in the Powerpoint presentation below. Understand the sentences and see how the idioms are used.
Now that you are a little more familiar with the idioms, listen to the dialogue.
Can you hear the idioms? Listen again.
Now, read the script of the dialog. Listen to the dialog again. This is one of the best ways to build your listening skills!
|Minh:||Hasan, did you hear that our winter party will be on the Thursday night before Christmas?|
|Hasan:||Yeah, I guess they’re going to do the same dull stuff again.|
|Minh:||No kidding. I remember that the president’s speech was quite a snooze-fest last year.|
|Hasan:||I hope he’s not going to make a long speech this year.|
|Minh:||I was wondering if the Employee of the Year is going to be announced. Remember last year? Todd won, and when his name was called, everyone raised their eyebrows.|
|Hasan:||Yeah, it was unusual that someone who hasn’t managed a large project got the award. It was definitely a feather in his cap though.|
|Minh:||But the band they brought in was nice. It got us all on our feet at the end of the party.|
|Hasan:||Yeah, that was pretty rare for one of our parties.|
|Minh:||Oh, speaking of entertainment, the IT team is going to set up an interactive game. They really love to take center stage, I guess.|
|Hasan:||That’s for sure.|
Now take a moment to study these flashcards and some other activities!
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Ismail considered it another feather in his cap when he finally earned his certification as a licensed engineer. Feather in his cap means:CorrectIncorrect
2. Meghan Markle’s marriage to Prince Harry raised a lot of eyebrows in Britain. Aside from being a commoner, she was also a person of colour and divorcee. This means that a lot of people:CorrectIncorrect
3. I was expecting “Fight with the Giants” to be an action-packed adventure movie. Instead, the main character spent three hours running after a girl and complaining to his best friend. What a snooze-fest! The movie was:CorrectIncorrect
4. The rock band was better than ever. When they started playing their hits, everyone couldn’t help but get on their feet. People at the concert:CorrectIncorrect
5. After years of hard work, Dr. Garcia’s research was put center stage because of its brilliance and significant findings. Her work was given:CorrectIncorrect
To "Mark Complete" you must login and complete all the lesson topics.