What is online shopping?
- Buying something over the internet.
- It can be easier than going to stores because you
Shipping is free sometimes.It can be a cheaper way to send gifts to loved ones back home.
- don’t have to travel and go to a crowded store.
- choose items on your computer while staying home.
- just give your name and credit card information.
- click a button and wait for delivery.
Other reasons for trying online shopping:
- More savings
- Some business owners do not spend on running a store. This makes their goods cheaper.
- Online stores offer discounts.
Wider selection of goods
- Many items online are not offered at regular stores.
Easy to compare prices
- Some websites sell anything from clothes to cars.
- Others offer second-hand goods and brand new ones.
- Others have a greater choice of brands, even handmade crafts.
Returns are easy if you buy from one with a physical store
- You don’t have to drive from store to store to compare.
- You can check online.
- Some online stores do it for you.
Check return policies before buying.
- big e-retailers have physical stores
- if you get the wrong size, color or model, you can return them easily
Don’t trust online shopping?
Many don’t trust online shopping because:
- there are many fake websites.
- some are phishing sites. They steal personal information.
- there are many stories about people scammed by fake websites.
Tips for safe online shopping:
- Use only safe websites
Signs of a safe URL
- Go straight to trusted stores instead of searching online.
- Examples are popular companies like Amazon, Etsy, eBay.
- Order from well-known retailers like Costco, Best Buy, Home Depot.
- Don’t buy from 8 online stores: 8 online retailers you should never order from by Alessandra Dubin.
- Never click a link from a spam email.
- Never buy anything from a site in a spam email.
Do not provide personal information
- The web address should start with “https” (not http).
- There should be a symbol of a locked padlock on the address bar.
- Beware of wrong spelling or a different domain, for example .net instead of .com.
- Don’t go to websites that have grammatical errors, wrong spelling and too many ads.
Have a secure password
- Beware of a site that asks for your SIN or birth date.
- Sign-up for Paypal.
- Paypal will let you pay using your credit card without sharing your financial information.
Don’t use public computers
- Create passwords combining letters, numbers and symbols.
- Make different passwords for different sites.
- Watch the video from Google below for tips.
Always check your statements
- Don’t use computers in the library or at a café for online shopping.
- Someone sitting behind you may see your screen when you type information.
- You might forget to log-out. Another person may use your account or steal information.
- Read your credit card statements. Check your account regularly.
- Check each transaction.
- If you see something you did not buy, call the bank immediately.
Use a good data security software
- Read and understand the website’s rules and regulations before buying.
- Know the rules on delivery/shipping, returns, discounts, and other details.
- Know the number to call for questions or complaints.
- Security software can protect you from spyware, viruses, and other threats.
- It can keep your credit card information safe.
Back to top
We'd love to hear from you!
Please login to tell us what you think.