Why do you need to prepare your home for summer?
- Heat and humidity can bring many dangers. Mould can form due to moisture. This can make you sick.
- Dust and allergens can affect your family’s health.
- Cleaning up will keep your home looking good.
- You and your family will stay comfortable and healthy.
Cabinets and racks
Check your closets, shoe cabinets and racks.
- Gather your winter coats and sweaters.
- Wash or dry clean them. Check the tags to know how to wash them.
- Store them for the next winter.
- Don’t keep them in plastic bags. This can trap moisture and damage your coats.
- Clean your winter boots. Store them so that they will last longer.
- Use the space freed up to organize your clothes for summer.
- Clean your cabinets under the sink.
- Throw away empty bottles of shampoo, expired bath products, and other junk.
- This will get air to circulate around a small space.
- This prevents humidity. Humidity can lead to the formation of mould.
- Check the fan or open a window.
- Open shower doors and curtains to prevent mould and mildew.
- Make space in your fridge.
- You will need it for ice, ice cream, or your kids’ popsicles.
- You will also need more space for leftovers. Hotter room temperature can spoil food faster.
- Dust off your kitchen cabinets and racks.
- Organize your pots and pans.
- Clean your pantry. Check for expired goods and throw them away.
- Get a dehumidifier for closed off areas in your house like the basement.
- Vacuum regularly, including the vents. This will prevent allergens inside your house.
Home repair season
Check your air conditioning unit (AC)
- Check your AC to see if it is working. You can also hire someone to check it.
- Tune up your AC. This will make your cooling system run smoothly.
- It will save energy and keep your electric bills low.
- Change the air filters once a month when your AC is used daily.
Roof and gutter check
- Check for roof leaks. Clean out gutters.
- Ask a good friend, a neighbor, or a professional to help you.
- Watch YouTube videos if you want to check the roof yourself. Be careful!
- Wash your exterior windows. Clean your house’s exterior walls.
- Use a garden hose.
- Check windows and walls for openings or cracks before you do this.
Lawn and garden
Canadians care for their yards and lawns. Keep your lawn tidy too by:
Cutting your grass
- Keep your front lawn and backyard clean.
- Cut the grass. Pull the weeds.
- Gather grass trimmings.
- Keep them in recyclable containers (without a lid), cardboard boxes, or yard waste bags.
- The Winnipeg Water and Waste Department collects yard waste and compost. They do it every two weeks from April to November.
- Learn about this service: yard waste collection
(Video from the City of Winnipeg Water and Waste Department)
Decks and porches
You will be spending many hours on your porch in summer. You should:
- Polish your porch. Use a mop and an all-purpose cleaner.
- Check your deck.
- Look for nails poking out of the floor.
- Check for signs of rotting.
- Seal the floorboards if they are taking in water.
- Ask your local hardware about sealing products for your deck.
Clean your outdoor cooker and grill
- Summer time is for barbecues.
- Use soap and water for cleaning your cooker.
- Scrape off dirt with a grill brush.
Remove empty pots, vases and other containers that can keep water. These will be ideal breeding places for mosquitoes.
Clean your patio furniture
Remove rust. Wash and dry seat cushion covers.
Sources: Winnipeg Water and Waste Department, Summer cleaning your house, Home and Garden.
Back to top
We'd love to hear from you!
Please login to tell us what you think.